Forgot the cure!

Started by WISmoker, August 17, 2011, 08:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WISmoker

So I mixed up 3lbs of ground venison and LEM hot seasoning last night.  Turns out, I forgot to put the Cure #1 in the meat.  I planned on smoking the veny at 140 degrees for 1:20 then moving to the dehydrator at 160 degrees. 

Have I just ruined 3lbs of venison, or will it be safe, as long as I eat it within a couple days?

If it's not safe, do you have any other options for me?  Veny Burgers???

Ugh.

WISmoker.

KyNola

Add it now and mix in well.  Shouldn't hurt a thing.  Cure doesn't have to spend time in the meat before it starts working.  It starts immediately.  You will be good to go.

NePaSmoKer

OU812

Mix the cure with some water before you mix it in.

mr5150

What is the difference between Cure #1 and Cure #2 and when do you use one over the other?

Jamie
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker
Napoleon Prestige II Gourmet Grill

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: mr5150 on September 06, 2011, 08:12:08 AM
What is the difference between Cure #1 and Cure #2 and when do you use one over the other?

Jamie

Cure #1
Used for basic smoking and or dehydrating. Not a very long shelf stable product. Product needs to be in fridge or freezer.

Cure #2
Used for dry curing such as dried salamis, hams, pepperoni type dry cured products. Has a longer shelf life and does not require immediate fridge or freezer.

Both cure #1 & 2 are used at 1 level tsp per every 5 lbs of meat.

mr5150

Thanks for the reply!! :)

I did some reading on this and it sounds like this stuff is pretty scary if not measured properly!!!

Is there another more natural way of doing this with out using harsh chemicals? I just bough a Weston Original Jerky gun and I'm looking at doing some ground meat type jerky.

Jamie
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker
Napoleon Prestige II Gourmet Grill

DisplacedCoonass

Quote from: mr5150 on September 06, 2011, 09:09:51 AM
Thanks for the reply!! :)

I did some reading on this and it sounds like this stuff is pretty scary if not measured properly!!!

Is there another more natural way of doing this with out using harsh chemicals? I just bough a Weston Original Jerky gun and I'm looking at doing some ground meat type jerky.

Jamie

I don't think it's a matter of looking at it as "harsh chemicals".  Sodium nitrites and nitrates are found in almost all vegetables, meats and water in varying levels.  Most of the crap you see in stores now that proclaims to be "nitrite free" means that they didn't use the actual chemical.  Instead, most of them use a vegetable naturally high in sodium nitrite/nitrate to cure the product.  Moderation and attention to detail when making things at home is the key to staying safe.

OU812

One serving of broccoli has more nitrites in it than any sausage you will ever make, as long as you fallow the directions on the cure.

Just sayin.  ;D

Fernslinger

I have never used cure any time I made jerky. I just make sure I eat it within a week :)

SoCalBuilder

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 06, 2011, 08:21:52 AM

Jamie

Cure #1
Used for basic smoking and or dehydrating. Not a very long shelf stable product. Product needs to be in fridge or freezer.

Cure #2
Used for dry curing such as dried salamis, hams, pepperoni type dry cured products. Has a longer shelf life and does not require immediate fridge or freezer.

I noticed on NePa's reply that #1 cure needs to be refrigerated. I have just been vac sealing mine and putting it back in the pantry. Am I screwing up?

OU812

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on September 07, 2011, 12:52:37 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 06, 2011, 08:21:52 AM

Jamie

Cure #1

Cure #2

I noticed on NePa's reply that #1 cure needs to be refrigerated. I have just been vac sealing mine and putting it back in the pantry. Am I screwing up?

NePas is thaking about the "product" as in the meat, that needs to be refrigerated.  ;)

NePaSmoKer

OU is right

No need to fridge the cure itself in crystal form.

SoCalBuilder

Thanks for the clarification. Got my jerky gun in the mail and I'll be putting it to work this weekend. The wife got all excited when I showed it to her. That changed quickly when she found I wasn't going to re-caulk the tub this weekend. That just got moved down the list another notch :D

northof60girl

Can jerky be made without any of the cures everyone mentions?  I would rather make mine and then vacuum seal, throw in the freezer and then pull out when I want some.  Anyone know how frozen jerky tastes after it is thawed?  Thanks all  ;)