Tri-Tip

Started by rcger, August 21, 2011, 03:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Alligator

What is the perfect IT for the Tri Tip??  Some say 165 others say 140.  I am planning one for this weekend as well.

squirtthecat

The ones we did at the MWSO were pulled at 135° and then foil wrapped/piled in a warm cooler to rest. (they probably hit just over 140° when all was said and done)

Smoking Alligator

Thanks for the tip.  :D

SoCalBuilder

I did my first tri-tip this past weekend. I bent over for a grass fed 3 lb'er at a local farmers market. I'm embarrassed to say that I paid about $9.00 a lb. That said, after 2 hours of pecan @225 and taking it to an IT of 135, it was pretty damn tasty. It was a little rare even for me at that point, but if you are going to reheat it for sandwiches later, it was perfect. I think on the next (not a $9 one) I'll take it to 135 and then throw it on the grill to char it up a little. Oh yeah, salt, pepper and a little granulated garlic :D

beefmann

140 is to rare for me, 155 to 165 is great for me, along  with a good cut of tri tip. never had a good cut of meat from ralphs

OldHickory

I have been cooking tri-tip for years.  For the past ten years, I have only used choice.  Around these parts , it is available at COSTCO for $4.00 (+-), and is very popular.  I can't remember when I have had a bad one, if ever.  My method is garlic salt, black pepper, a rubdown with olive oil prior to seasoning. Cab temp@ 220*, IT probe set at 130*, smoke total time with HICKORY.  Off and FTC until time for dinner.  Slice across the grain.  Each end will be med and the thicker middle will be rare.  The rare is my choice.  You now have lots of choices on how to cook.  Good luck.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

hal4uk

Quote from: OldHickory on August 24, 2011, 04:23:44 PM
I have been cooking tri-tip for years.  For the past ten years, I have only used choice.  Around these parts , it is available at COSTCO for $4.00 (+-), and is very popular.  I can't remember when I have had a bad one, if ever.  My method is garlic salt, black pepper, a rubdown with olive oil prior to seasoning. Cab temp@ 220*, IT probe set at 130*, smoke total time with HICKORY.  Off and FTC until time for dinner.  Slice across the grain.  Each end will be med and the thicker middle will be rare.  The rare is my choice.  You now have lots of choices on how to cook.  Good luck.
I'm with you an that one, O.H.
Uh huh.
Yup.
What U said.
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

SouthernSmoked

Tri-Tip! I'll have to give that a try!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Gizmo

Quote from: La Quinta on August 23, 2011, 11:32:01 PM
Deal Giz...I'm there!!!  :) I'd just love for you to show me how you do it....I just can't figure that cut out...I can cook anything else...but not tri-tip...
Fortunately 2 hours is about the max time so that is not a problem.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

classicrockgriller

After tasting the tri-tip at the MWSO and loving the texture of the meat,

I Got one Today.(Angus Choice)

It's gonna go down on Friday.

Feel like a kid in a Candy Store.

I had smoked one before but I THINK I understand

what has to be done a little more. We'll see. ;D

La Quinta

Giz...you promise that you know how to cook it? Maybe you should come visit sis out here!!! Was only 114 today...come on out and do me some tri-tip? Casita is free for a couple of weeks!!!  ;D

Well maybe a month or so for the casita!!! After this weekend...geezzz it is still 98 out...its freakin 2am...wanna schedule something Giz and VA!!! ;D

I am rambling about the heat aren't I?

Smoking Alligator

Does anyone know why tri-tip has a good IT temp of 135-140 and brisket has to go all the way up to 200 degrees?

KyNola

Different cuts of meats and texture.  BTW, a brisket doesn't have to go to 200.  At 200, it pulls but at 180(my preference) it slices wonderfully against the grain.

Ka Honu

Quote from: Smoking Alligator on August 25, 2011, 08:49:15 AMDoes anyone know why tri-tip has a good IT temp of 135-140 and brisket has to go all the way up to 200 degrees?

You can pull a brisket at 135-140o and have medium shoe leather.  You can also cook a brisket to 180-200o in a hot oven or grill and have well done shoe leather.  We cook brisket (and pork shoulder, pot roast, etc.) longer and slower to allow the fat, collagen, and connective tissue to "melt" and tenderize the meat.  That usually happens at 160o+.  For most of the more naturally tender cuts that we eat as steaks or other roasts, that's not an issue so they don't need to cook as long or as slowly.

Smoking Alligator

Thanks you all for your tips.  This is all of great help.  From what I understand, most cuts are overall defined to be cooked to an IT of 160 but the tri-tip is recomended at 135-140?  Could that be a general consensus?