Tri-Tip

Started by rcger, August 21, 2011, 03:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcger

I'm going to do a Tri-tip next weekend.  What's your favorite rub/smoke flavor?  Any other tips would be appreciated.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Ka Honu

"Tradition" dictates salt, pepper, & garlic over red oak.  There's a reason for that tradition.

beefmann

paprika,
granulated garlic,
pepper,
ground mustard

a good powdering  of each on the tri tip

Gizmo

Quote from: rcger on August 21, 2011, 03:10:04 PM
I'm going to do a Tri-tip next weekend.  What's your favorite rub/smoke flavor?  Any other tips would be appreciated.

South Seas Tri Tip seasoning.  Oak wood.  On the Bradley, set to max temp and take the Tri Tip to 135 degrees then pull and let rest.  This will take 2 hours or less and I let the smoke roll the entire time.  I like to toss the Tri Tip on a screaming hot grill or under the broiler for just a few minutes to give the surface a little color and caramelizing.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

I admire anyone who can cook tri tip...I am not one of them...good luck rc....

Gizmo

Quote from: La Quinta on August 22, 2011, 12:21:53 AM
I admire anyone who can cook tri tip...I am not one of them...good luck rc....
Is that due to lack of availability?

La Quinta

No Giz...I just don't know anybody who can cook it right...I have had it many times...everybody thinks they are good at it...but I know when I cook it...its like shoe leather...

Ka Honu

I like the taste but, as LQ says, it can be pretty a tough cut.  I haven't tried it in the smoker but on a grill I sear, then lower heat to cook to desired IT, and slice VERY thinly (almost "deli" thin) against the grain after resting.  Still a bit "chewy," but the thin slices make it easier.

KyNola

I use Gunpowder Rub on a tri tip.  I put it in the MAK on the "smoke" setting for about 30 minutes and then ramp the temp up to around 325.  Total time in the MAK is about 1.5 hours and the IT is around 130-135.  Let rest and slice against the grain.  Comes out perfect everytime.

classicrockgriller

The tri-tip at the MWSO was awesome.

hal4uk

Done 'em 3 times now.  All were excellent....
LQ, just make sure ya got a CHOICE+ tri-tip and don't overcook it.
They have an excellent beef flavor.

2 of the 3 times, KyNola was around, and the other time, it was also one he acquired.

When something "ain't all that" I'll just say something nice and move on...
But -- seriously -- these are purdy dang close to "delicacy" territory.
(At least the ones we've tried)

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Gizmo

Quote from: La Quinta on August 23, 2011, 12:10:10 AM
No Giz...I just don't know anybody who can cook it right...I have had it many times...everybody thinks they are good at it...but I know when I cook it...its like shoe leather...

I'll sign up to the crowd that thinks they do good job.  Come on down and I'll hook you up.

La Quinta

Deal Giz...I'm there!!!  :) I'd just love for you to show me how you do it....I just can't figure that cut out...I can cook anything else...but not tri-tip...

muebe

I have cooked many tri-tips and have never had a bad one yet ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

I'm fixin to cook my first Tri-Tip this weekend,,,,,,,,,,thanks Larry.

I'm gonna give it a shot in the Bradley.