August cheese! Oh Baby

Started by grnhs, August 21, 2011, 04:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grnhs

Really been craving some smoked cheese lately so with a litle help from the forum I got a cold smoke unit put together to try.

dummy plug

went to the store

rolling 2 hours of Pecan

ready for the wait :P

mikecorn.1

Great looking batch of Queso you gots there. Imma gonna try to do some this winter. How did you attach the hose to the smoker. Do you just shove it in there. I also see that you spliced a piece of wire to the sensor cable to reach the smoker. I got an extra one sitting around, guess that answers the question about that.  ;D
Mike

grnhs

Hi Mike,
No I didn't splice the wire I got a plug and put a resistor on it. it reads 77 degrees all the time on the digital, but it makes it work for the smoke.
and I did just push the flexible aluminum dryer vent to the smoker.
ambient temp was 52* when I started and I didn't have to do anything more to control the temp it got up to 83- 85 by the end of the smoke.
Dave

mikecorn.1

Quote from: grnhs on August 21, 2011, 04:53:07 PM
Hi Mike,
No I didn't splice the wire I got a plug and put a resistor on it. it reads 77 degrees all the time on the digital, but it makes it work for the smoke.
ambient temp was 52* when I started and I didn't have to do anything more to control the temp it got up to 83- 85 by the end of the smoke.
Dave

Anyway you can get a closer pic. I'm not real sure of how it's done with the resistor and all. Oh
Now
I see it I zoomed in on my phone. What size resistor or type is it. I should be able to get it at radio shack. Thanks in advance

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

ghost9mm

Nice job on the cheese grnhs....some say hold it two weeks, but I found that I like it much better if I don't touch it for a month,, it's your choice and maybe you want to try some in two weeks and hold some for the month and you decide which one you like the best...good job..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SouthernSmoked

Nice job on the cheese.

I agree with ghost9mm...one month or longer works best!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Keymaster

pensrock

Mike, there are two metal ends on a resistor and two wires on the sensor wire. Simple one resistor end to each wire. It does not matter which end goes to which wire, just hook them up. A 100K ohm 1/8 or 1/4 watt resistor will give you about 77 degree F reading.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: pensrock on August 22, 2011, 05:32:10 AM
Mike, there are two metal ends on a resistor and two wires on the sensor wire. Simple one resistor end to each wire. It does not matter which end goes to which wire, just hook them up. A 100K ohm 1/8 or 1/4 watt resistor will give you about 77 degree F reading.

Thanks for the info.

---
Mike

Tenpoint5

Cheese looks great. We opened a package of 3yr old aged white cheddar that had been smoked  and vac sealed on 9-8-10. The longer you wait the better the flavor.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

Good looking bunch of cheese there Dave.  I'm all out and it's just been too hot around here for cheese this summer.

Good job on the cold smoking adapter too.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

pensrock

I wonder how LQ's Aug cheese smoke is doing.  ;) ;D ;D ;D

grnhs

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on August 21, 2011, 05:07:56 PM
Quote from: grnhs on August 21, 2011, 04:53:07 PM
Hi Mike,
Dave

Anyway you can get a closer pic. I'm not real sure of how it's done with the resistor and all. Oh
Now
I see it I zoomed in on my phone. What size resistor or type is it. I should be able to get it at radio shack. Thanks in advance

Sorry I've been away from my computer since yesterday.
i see Pensrock answered your question,
---

grnhs

Quote from: ghost9mm on August 21, 2011, 06:05:29 PM
Nice job on the cheese grnhs....some say hold it two weeks, but I found that I like it much better if I don't touch it for a month,, it's your choice and maybe you want to try some in two weeks and hold some for the month and you decide which one you like the best...good job..
Yes it is a little ashy tasting right away (I've heard :))
I just found an open package in the fridge that I did last december and there wasn't any mold or anyhting on it. it tasted great

grnhs

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 22, 2011, 07:11:56 AM
Cheese looks great. We opened a package of 3yr old aged white cheddar that had been smoked  and vac sealed on 9-8-10. The longer you wait the better the flavor.
Thanks 10.5. I am going to get enough ahead on this stuff that I can age it for longer periods.
I don't want to run out again