Help with Salmon Jerky

Started by chiroken, August 21, 2011, 10:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiroken

Candy Smoked up 15lbs of salmon today, next time I'd like to try salmon jerky but I'm not finding a whole lot out there.

I'd love to get some recipes, marinade time etc.

Also how to cut/prepare the fish best. I'll be using both Coho and Spring so some filets will be thick. which direction is the cut to help prevent everything falling apart? And if I have filets 1 1/2 to 2" thick can I slice them to say 1/4" and leave them 2" wide? (versus making 1/4" by 1/4" strips)

Same sort of smoking as will beef jerky, temp running between 140-170?

Thanks!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

chiroken

Anyone out there with some salmon jerky experience? Doing 8lbs of beef jerky this weekend but am also wanting to have a go with salmon jerky.

Thanks
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

bbadinger

Another name for salmon jerky is salmon candy. I don't have the recipe with me but if you google it you will find that most recipes for it are very similar. Smoke at a low temp for long period until it gets dried similar to jerky. Low heat keeps it from burning as it dries.

chiroken

Interesting, I've never heard of salmon candy being jerky. Tons of candied salmon in these parts and I make it myself. Around here candied salmon is definitely not jerky. Basting the smoking salmon during the smoke time with maple syrup (or sometimes adding it to the brine) makes it "candied". I wonder if just keeping the heat to the fish for longer periods of time, drying it out alot more than usual, is what makes it jerky?

300saum

chiroken

Quote from: 300saum on November 19, 2011, 08:04:57 PM
Check this out and see if this is what you are looking for.  http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Departments/Recipes/Canning/salmonjerky.html
Yeah I guess this is what I'm looking for. Seems like salmon jerky is just smoked salmon that is cut thinner and dried more. Marinade to your liking. Can't see why Kummock's recipe won't work here. Doubt I'd baste in maple syrup though as it might leave it too sticky to have a bunch in a jar or zip loc bag.

Thanks

micman

I tried the jerky thing the other day with some chum, I just kept the heat low after I finished smoking, It took quite a while thou, not sure of the time cause it went late into the night. I think I took it out a  little to early thou, was more like chewing taffy then jerky but it was still real good.

Mick