• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

A salvagable first smoke...

Started by JoeW, August 23, 2011, 07:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeW

Okay I tried to rush it a bit but here's what happened...

Put smoker together and started the seasoning. After just over an hour I added 3lb's of boneless country ribs and set it to 225. Checked once an hour and all was fine, on hour three the temp was way up - ~270 with lots of 'burnt' smelling smoke. Yep - I let the water tray go dry and it had a bunch of smouldering brickets.

The meat was not too bad - I didn't use any seasoning or spritzing during the whole time.

Besides not keeping the water tray full do you guys spray or season as it's cooking?

Thanks - Joe

classicrockgriller

I season before meat goes in the smoker and try to let the meat

rest while I bring my smoker up to temp.

I have also traded the bowl that came with the smoker for a 9x13

disposable can pan from wally world. It don't run dry.

Good luck and keep smokin'.

irish_smoker

I also leave the smoker alone once the meat goes in, try to keep from opening the door other than to emtpy/refill the water. 

I've also taken the advice of crg and use a aluminum pan as my water bowl so it doesn't need emptying/refilling ever 4 hours....and the door can stay closed longer.  The only other recommendation is to make sure you keep your vent on top about 3/4 open at all times.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Joe;
Welcome to the forum.

Also remember the OBS has a rheostat that control the wattage, it is not a thermostat. So as your meat temperature increases the cabinet temperature will continue to increase. Without a PID you should occasionally adjust it. Having a Maverick ET-72 or the newer model will let you know when the temperature is climbing, that way you don't have to babysit it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

I don't do either. If you keep opening the door, all your heat will escape.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike