• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Chicken questions

Started by Phlyfisher, August 24, 2011, 10:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phlyfisher

Howdy all-

I had a few questions about smoking chicken:

I am using the recipe from the website - http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?35-Smoked-Chicken-From-mws

My question is, after the 4 hours of smoke, how crispy is the skin? Do some people put BBQ sauce on the bird and let the sauce "set" in the oven, kind of like you do with ribs?

What internal temperature do you shoot for with chicken?

Thanks.

SoCalBuilder

Howdy Phly - I personally have never brined a bird because I'm too damned lazy and in all honesty, I've never had a dry chicken come out of the Bradley. Because of the moisture and slow smoke, the skin usually comes out rubbery, but tasty. If you want to crisp up the skin, a trip to the oven or grill is your best bet. You could sauce up the bird for the last bit of cooking so long as you keep track of what your doing and don't let the sugars in the sauce burn. Tough to screw up this way in the Bradley but I bet I could do it ;)  I take the IT of the breast to 165.

Hope this helps and have fun.

classicrockgriller

SoCal, has you covered.

Just a note, open your top vent to at least 3/4 to full opening.

Try to run your smoker on 230* to 250*.

It won't take that long so keep a check on the IT after 2 1/2 hours or so.

Also a cple (2) hours of smoke is plenty for a chicken.

Phlyfisher

Thanks for the info, fellas.  :D

So if I wanted to crisp up the skin, what is the best way to do that? How hot and how long?

mikecorn.1

Throw the yardbird parts on a grill or you could do it in the oven (broil) setting. Also some folks pit it in the big easy TBE. OR THE SRG.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

SoCalBuilder

I crisp mine up on a gas grill. With indirect heat, it only takes a couple minutes to crisp it up. My grill has this turbo searing element that throws my gas meter into overdrive, so it doesn't take long. I don't walk away from it :D

KyNola

The skin will be rubbery.  Open the vent 100% as the chicken carries a LOT of moisture.  One other thing, if that recipe calls for 4 hours of smoke you may want to rethink that.  Poultry is a smoke sponge and 4 hours of smoke on a chicken is going to be a LOT.  I would probably pull that back to 2 hours to maybe 2 hours and 40 minutes worth then just continue to cook until done.

squirtthecat

Or.. 2 hours of smoke at 250° and then into a preheated 375° oven (just keep it on the Bradley rack and put it on a rimmed cookie sheet) until the breast hits 161°.   Yank it out and let rest and the temp will come up naturally.   Watch it, as it will happen quickly.

Lots of ways to do this.    Chickens are cheap and fun the play with!