Wanna try doing chuck roast

Started by mnmike, August 30, 2011, 02:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnmike

Am wanting to try doing chuck roast am thinking do i do them kinda like brisket? I want to cook it for sliceing like brisket do i use a cym slather then apply dry rub? Am guessing smoke for 4 hours then cook till the i.t is 190. Whats everyones advice on this and what rub would be good on it?

classicrockgriller

How big is the Chuckie?

If 5 lbs or less, you might want to cut the smoke down a little

to maybe 2 to 3 hrs.

You can take it to any stage you like.

rare, medium rare, medium, etc.

If you want to make pulled beef take IT to 200*.

mikecorn.1

If ya can post some pics.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

beefmann

depending on the size of roast, 2 to 3 hours of smoke and it of 160 for slicing and 195 to 200 for pulled, box temp of 215 to 225

mnmike

oh ok got the temp thing down so whats the best way to prep it? do i prep it the same as brisket cym then rub? beefman had a post and it had a olive oil garlic slather on it looked really good trying to find out how he made it?

mnmike

I picked up 2 really nice chuck roasts today both are 2.90 lbs think i am gonna give them a rub down of worcestershire sauce and use a simple steak rub and let them sit over night. Am thinking about useing hickory but how long should i smoke for? Also am trying for a prime rib like texture to the meat how long to cook for what would be a good i.t to cook them to?

classicrockgriller

I wouldn't smoke them much over 2 hrs.

Smoker at 225* 2 to 3 hrs to get to 135*.

Start checking IT at 2 hour mark.

mnmike

ok sounds good thanks for the tips

OU812

mnmike

yes i will do that have been slacking on posting pics did a pork butt the other day that turned out very well havent uploaded the pics yet

OU812