• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Turkey Brining Technique

Started by thostorey, November 26, 2005, 04:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thostorey

A quick question on brining technique - Do you loosen the skin around the breast, legs and thighs etc to allow the brine to have maximum flesh contact? Do you allow the bird to dry afer and if so, for how long?

Thanks!

Tom in Qualicum Beach

gotbbq

Tom-

I haven't found it necessary to lift the skin when brining.  Osmotic action provides for the movement.  Greater concentration to lesser concentration.

Gotbbq

gotbbq

Bassman

When smoking turkey breasts I loosen the skin, not because of brining but rather for the rub that goes on after brining.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

JJC

I don't loosen the skin before I brine, but I do afterwards to add a rub, as Jack says.  I'll try loosening it before brining next time just to see if there's a difference.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Sacrifice

I don't loosen the skin on turkey of chicken.  I find that a tight skin forms a sort of seal that keeps the juices in but also allows the brine to penetrate into the meat.  Sometimeswhen pulling the meat from the smoker you can see the juices under the skin, especially in chicken.  I also never remove the temperature probe until I am ready to carve the bird.  It is really annoying when you remove a probe and a juice gusher is produced [:(!] .

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died. "  --- Anonymous