Deep Fried Turkey

Started by gotbbq, November 27, 2005, 12:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gotbbq

Anyone have a sturdy model for deep frying a whole turkey.  I have never had it but friends say it is great.  I've seen some cheap and unsafe looking units.  Any help is appreciated.

gotbbq

IKnowWood

i got a real good kit from Cebelas in the link below
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20075&rid=&indexId=cat20122&navAction=push&navCount=3&parentType=index&parentId=cat20122&id=0014965

It works great for me.  We used to do a whole Turkey but it was easier to just do a Turkey Breast or two for extras.   Just keep an eye on the oil temp and do not do this indoors.  

And do NOT leave it alone, if you like your house, do it outside and stick with it.  It takes about an hour to get to temp and hour or less to get the Turkey to temp.  Make sure its thawed and no extra water, makes it dangerous.  use only peanut oil.

and use some good gloves and cover to "slowly" lower the bakset into the hot oil.  I have some great Leather Gloves and Apron that keep the oil from burning.  

the level of oil to material is important.  You do not want to much oil, it will drip or run over and with an open flame thats deadly.

We Fry some each year and love it over Smoking, mostly for the skin.  We might try a quick smoke prior to fry soon to have best of both worlds.

Good luck.

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

boxertrio

find your oil level by filling with water and lowering the turkey in,  then pull it out and mark the water level...empty and fill with oil to the mark.  I do this with every bird...can't be to careful with that oil!  As IKW said stay with it, I have put out a few decks and garages of people who didn't!!!  Have plenty of frosty beverages and a few good friends around for "advice"

Glenn

"You don't need a Hibachi to cook Japanese!"-BMW Motorcycles
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

another safty tip, turn burner off when you put the bird in , then relight burner

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />another safty tip, turn burner off when you put the bird in , then relight burner
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's a great one, Rob!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

IKnowWood

Also as the fry continues the turkey will increase temps rapidlly The goal is to prevent the oil temperature from going away from you.  about 30 minutes into the process watch it.  The oil will begin to heat up to much, take the fire down every 3-5 minutes.  Evantually you will turn it off before its done. The temps go up faster the last 10 to 15 minutes.  

and yes Rob, great tip.  its one of those parts we do that we forget as the slow drop in process freaks us out as that bird spits (any residual water on the bird pops.  Ice is worse.  

Good luck

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

nsxbill

Good idea on turning the heat off when the turkey intially enters for its swim.  Never thought of that.  Did fried turkey a couple of years ago, and damn, was that ever messy!  (Worth it though).  I am probably going to fry some for the Christmas crowd.  Gives the wife a little break on cooking!

Happy Holidays to all!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

gotbbq

Thaanks for the info.  I'm starting my shopping

gotbbq

Habanero Smoker

I have an electric turkey fryer. I feel they are much safer than the propane models.

I have one similar to this, and got if from Sam's Club last year for about $90, and they have dropped in price since then

http://www.masterbuilt.com/

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)