Generator problem-sometimes

Started by zrtman00, November 28, 2005, 07:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zrtman00

Looking for some HELP!!!
The biscuit advance is not reliable enough to leave alone for any length of time, sometimes it advances a biscuit and sometimes it doesn't.I use the generator on a homemade smoker. This is the second generator that does the exact same thing. I do clean it after each use,either vacuum out or blow out with air. Does anybody else have the same problem. I bought the second generator hoping to solve the problem, it worked great the first time then back to the same old thing. The reason I bought this generator in the first place is so I don't have to babysit the smoker all day. I have not contacted Bradley about the problem.

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, zrtman!  Sorry you're having bad luck with the smoke generator.  Definitely, unquestionably contact Bradly customer service about your issue.  They are excellent to deal with and will have another generator out to you within a couple days.  They probably won't even want you to send them your defective generator back, so KEEP IT for spare parts!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

manxman

Welcome to the forum.

I am now on my third generator, the previous two were replaced under warranty which seems as good in the UK as it is in the US.

One of the problems I had was with the pivot arm that comes from the motor that drives the puck advance, it was an intermittent problem that was evident as soon as I used the generator from new but manifested itself in the same way you describe. Sometimes a puck would be delivered, sometimes not!

Others have had problems with the motor itself.

As JJC said,as long as it is under warranty Bradley are the people to talk to.

Manxman.
Manxman

iceman

Do contact Bradley ASAP and see what they say. A couple things that have popped up problem wise have been; the advance motor strips its final gear which doesn't sound like your problem, the sensor in the control module causes the motor to retract even when there is no overload, and the tube doesn't quite fit right causing the waffer to hang up in the shoot at an angle causing the jam. At any rate if its under warranty go for that route. Keep us posted on what Bradley does. There are a lot of folks watching them closely to see what the support situation is going to be like.[:p]

willbrewer

I'm interested in how this problem is resolved, too.  I've been seriously thinking about buying a Bradley smoker, or just the generator to build my own, but hearing about problems like this is giving me second thoughts.  
I've spent a lot of years as a mechanic working with gears, sensors, pushers and such.  And making sure everything is adjusted correctly.  Hearing about smoke generators being shipped out with problems like this doesn't seem acceptable to me, even if follow up customer service is great.  If this is the normal scenario with Bradley smoke generators, I may not get one.  Do most of you have perfect ( or close to perfect) performance from the generators, or are they an ill designed contraption?
Please excuse me for speaking my mind.  I don't mean to offend anyone.  I do try to be a careful shopper and make informed decisions.  Thanks

Bill
____
http://www.smoker-cooking.com

Hit it like ya live...fast and hard!
But smoke it slow and low.

Chez Bubba

Bill,

In my experience, and from what I've been told by most of our customers, if it's a dud, you'll know it well within the year warranty. Bradley will happily & expeditiously replace it no problem.

Five years ago when I got mine, it was a dud. They replaced it and I haven't had any problems since. I did have to learn that it order to keep it functioning, it had to be cleaned properly.

Could they build a stronger, more robust unit that would chug through thousands of bisquettes & abuse? Definately. Would you be willing to spend twice as much?

I think for the money and convenience, the Bradley unit is a very good product. It won't be to some people, but let's face it, that's why cars sell for anywhere from $8000 to $80,000. The Bradley's certainly not a Chevette, but it never claims to be a BMW.

Just my opinion,

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

willbrewer

Kirk,

Thanks for setting my mind at ease about the smoke generators. Your analogy about the cars makes sense...and I definitely don't drive a Beamer!

Later,

Bill
____
http://www.smoker-cooking.com

Hit it like ya live...fast and hard!
But smoke it slow and low.

iceman

Chez you hit it right on the money. For the most part I have to admit Bradley will be able to introduce a whole new world of smoke cooking to the average family that thought it was impossible. I would have to say to anybody that has the question of "should I try it" YES!!!![;)]

faux4all

I've had my Bradley for about 1 1/2 years and have yet to have a problem with the generator, but did have a problem with the thermostat heat control and thermometer and they sent me a new one out asap and was ready to smoke the next weekend.  In my opinion it's the best thing going on the market today.
As far as setting and leaving it, I've loaded it up and gone out fishing only to come back to a "ready to eat" meal.  Good luck

Oldman

Greeting faux4all 

Welcome to the forums.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Grunt2

I have the same problem!! The motor gears are bad. It will feed the puck from one side of the sweep but not the other... I just e-mailed Bradley and hope help is on the way.... The motor is a real cheap one at that. (part # TYJ50-8). I'm going to look around for a better motor while I'm waiting for a reply.I have only used it for a few months!

iceman

Quote from: Grunt2 on August 22, 2006, 06:27:30 PM
I have the same problem!! The motor gears are bad. It will feed the puck from one side of the sweep but not the other... I just e-mailed Bradley and hope help is on the way.... The motor is a real cheap one at that. (part # TYJ50-8). I'm going to look around for a better motor while I'm waiting for a reply.I have only used it for a few months!
Contacting Bradley is the thing to do. If you've only used it for a few months they will send you a new generator at no charge. They have been very good about the advance motor problem in the past. Do to liability problems they can't just send a replacement motor. I haven't found a better motor as of yet that wouldn't require major retro fitting. It's been my experience that keeping the generator clean during and after each use and keeping it inside in the winter pretty much eliminated the problem. The generators DO NOT like saw dust, smoke residue, and very cold weather during storage. :)

green1320

I am glad to see that I am not the only one to have trouble with the generator not advancing the chips. My generator has been replaced once and now the second one has quite feeding chips. Please keep us informed as to what Bradley does to help you. I was thinking about buying one of the digital units but am not quite sure after my second generator in my original is now not functioning correctly.