• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

KCBS Competition - Shrewsbury, PA UPDATED w/pics

Started by begolf25, September 06, 2011, 06:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

pensrock

looks like it was a nice day, have not seen blue in the sky for a while. TY for the pics.  :)

Habanero Smoker

Nice pictures, but you shouldn't have been able to take a picture of the judging.  :)

Brian did fairly well. Looking a those banners and reviewing the teams that competed, he was up against to well established teams.

To check the results of any KCBS competition just go to their website. The results are generally posted that same day.

3rd Annual Southern York County BBQ Cook-Off

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 13, 2011, 02:23:35 AM
Nice pictures, but you shouldn't have been able to take a picture of the judging.  :)
Why not?

begolf25

First, we had a great time at the competition. The results aren't as good as we had hoped for but not bad for our first comp of the year. Also, it was great to meet Gary and his wife Pat. I wish we had more time to talk but we were pretty busy when they stopped by Saturday.

There were 28 teams, we finished 14th. As Habs stated there was some pretty good competition. The team that won the Grand Champion "rented" out a guy from Virginia that has been cooking with Myron Mixon so I am sure that gave them a pretty good edge. We did get one call for our 7th place ribs.

Here are our scores...

Overall - 618.2852
Chicken - 151.4284 - 20th Place
Ribs - 161.1430 - 7th Place
Pork - 153.1426 - 14th Place
Brisket - 152.5712 - 16th Place

Here are some pics from the event....

Our area...

Cooks meeting, Fred from Fred's Music and Barbecue Supply was competing. That is him right in front of me in the grey shirt.

A foggy Saturday morning...

My little man trying out our overnight accommodations...

Carter and I heading to a turn-in...

Awards...

Hoping to hear our name called...

7th Place Ribs...

Our chicken, thought our scores would have been better. We thought it tasted great.

Ribs...

Pork, a little overcooked...

Brisket, also overdone and we were running short on time so the box doesn't look very good. Not happy with that at all.

We learned a few things a will be making a couple of changes for our competition this weekend in Raystown, PA.

Bryan

SouthernSmoked

Dang Bryan, Man your turn-ins look awesome.... the ribs look like they were killer.

Congrats!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

northof60girl

Looks like a great weekend and for your first time out, I think you guys did great.  The food pictures you posted look delish!  Well done!

classicrockgriller

Did Ya Have Fun?

That is the main thing.

Food does look like a winner to me.

NePaSmoKer

WTG Bryan and Team

We will try to stop in and see you guys before we head south.

OU812

Looks like a bunch of first place stuff to me.  ;D

pensrock

Looks great Bryan. any info about the Raystown event? I'm still nursing my arm and hand from the surgeries but would like to get down one of the days. Would Friday be the best day to come down or Saturday? I really do not want to deal with a huge crowd and risk getting bumped into a lot, still healing up. But I would also like to get there when they are serving samples, if they do that? I never been to a smoking comp. I imagine its held near the Seven Points Marina.

muebe

Bryan all the food looks great to me!

Congrats for the 7th place on the ribs :)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Chili Head

This was your first time out?
Looks like a win to me! You didn't finish in last place ! Hold your heads high! You guys did great!
Food looks good too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

begolf25

Quote from: pensrock on September 13, 2011, 09:47:31 AM
Looks great Bryan. any info about the Raystown event? I'm still nursing my arm and hand from the surgeries but would like to get down one of the days. Would Friday be the best day to come down or Saturday? I really do not want to deal with a huge crowd and risk getting bumped into a lot, still healing up. But I would also like to get there when they are serving samples, if they do that? I never been to a smoking comp. I imagine its held near the Seven Points Marina.

Greg,

Below is a link to the schedule of events. There isn't anything going on Friday. The teams do not normally serve samples. Once all the turn-ins are done, around 1:30 on Sunday, we will have plenty of left overs since we only turn-in such a small amout of what we cook.

I would recommend coming down Saturday. There is a poeple's choice pork competition, judging starts at 2:00pm so you can get some samples and judge then. Plus it looks like there is a bunch of other stuff going on also that day. Hope to see you there.

http://raystown.org/upcoming-events/barbeque-at-the-beach.html

Bryan

pensrock

Sounds like fun, it will be about 1-3/4 hour drive for me to get there.  :)
They must have vendors there if the comp does not serve the public till the end.
If I leave just before noon I'll be there before 2:00, I'll probably only stay for 2-3 hours cause I'll still have to drive back home with the bad arm. Is it right at the marina? I'm wondering where everyone parks?
It would be cool to own one of those huge house boats they have there.  :)
Thanks for the info, I'm going to try to get there.