• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rib Question

Started by Rainmaker, September 07, 2011, 09:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainmaker

I was watching a cooking show today where the host was visiting various BBQ restaurants in Kansas (I think).  At one of the places the guy preparing the ribs didn't take the membrane off the back of the ribs.  He said it helps to hold the moisture in.  After cooking he was able to peel off the membrane quite easily.  I've always taken the membrane off, so was surprised to see this.  Has anyone tried this?  And if so does it make a difference?

Ka Honu

The "conventional wisdom" around here is that if you remove the membrane first, you'll get more flavor penetration from the rub and the smoke which makes up for any minor moisture loss (which you can minimize by other means).

mikecorn.1

You add plenty of moisture back when you foil and hit them with a splash of liquid.

---
- Mike.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

classicrockgriller

I pull the membrane on Baby Backs cause they are usually meatier.

I score the membrane on spare ribs, but don't pull it after cooking.

ghost9mm

All good answers, so it's your choice....me...I remove it...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

muebe

I also pull the membrane before I smoke them...
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

SoCalBuilder

I usually get what are labeled 'back ribs' at Costco. They are meatier than baby backs but not as fatty as spares. I can manage to get the membrane of the baby backs, but the backs just won't give it up. I end up so p.o'ed that I just leave it and when it comes time to eat, I can't tell the difference.

Rainmaker

Thanks for all the replies.  I think I will stick with my usual practice and remove the membrane or maybe do a trial on one slab