1st try Canadian bacon

Started by SiFumar, September 08, 2011, 04:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiFumar

I've made maybe 40+ pounds of belly bacon since getting my smoker.  Thought I'd try Habanero Smokers recipe for Canadian bacon this time.  Only thing I changed, was add black pepper 1tsp per lb to the rest of the ingredients.  Made a 2lb piece and 3lb piece.

Let me tell you...I'd rather skin a belly then clean silver skin any day! lol  More next week...

Habanero Smoker

You Canadian bacon looks good.

As for cleaning the silver skin it gets easier as you obtain more experience. Do a search and you will come across a lot of tutorials on how to remove silver skin form a cut of meat. I find using a sharp boning knife works best.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

You have to work in small pieces and lift the silver

skin and follow it with a sharp knife. ;D

Been awhile since I've done Canadian Bacon.

I'll be peeking at the thread.

OU812

I find it easier to remove the silver skin if the meat is almost frozen, just to the point its firm.

SiFumar

Thanks for hints on that damn silver skin!  Today was smoke day! Smells so good...did not taste yet.

Sitting out, waiting for smoker to heat up.

In smoker

Done

Decided to string around side also.  Cooled and wrapped in plastic for 2 days/  I restrained from cutting in and tasting.

Quarlow

You are stronger willed than I am. Every time I make CBB I have to taste it. I have a chunk vacsealed in the fridge. I am hoarding it but should use it soon. I don't care for the texture after it has been frozen so I don't freeze any. I just have to make it more often. That said I would have to make it continually cause it is so awesome. Oh nice truss job with the string, I can't get mine that round but I don't worry about it. The extra wrap around the side seems to work good. I will have to try it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ghost9mm

Now that CB is lookin real good, we wait for a money shot, but I know it will be good...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SiFumar

Wow! Is this Canadian bacon good or what!?  In our opinion it was great!  Only had did a thirty minute soak per HS recipe, was not at all salty.

3 pounder sliced first

2nd piece on top

They look a bit redder in pic then they actually are

Hubby's plate

My plate with some extra ends and pieces

I would NOY hesitate to make again!  Easy when you follow Hab's recipe.  You can't go wrong!

Quarlow

Definately easy. Everone should try it. And that is the best use for CBB also. Macdonalds be damned, my homemade "Egg Macmuffins" are way better than theirs are. Nice work SiFumar.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Habanero Smoker

The Canadian Bacon looks great.

The difference in color is because the loin if made up of a couple of muscles. The next time you purchase a whole loin, you will notice there is a light end and a darker end. The darker end is the end attached to the shoulder. That muscle gets more exercise, and therefore has more myoglobin which causes the darker in color. When cured the color becomes darker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

crusty044

Congratulations on your Canadian Bacon. If I could make it that good, I'll be shouting it from every rooftop around me.
I'm still licking my chops.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.

SouthernSmoked

Oh Heck Yeah!!!!

The bacon looks great!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

OU812

Lookin gooood!

I'd rock that like the 80's  ;D

That CB goes good on a pizza too.  ;)

squirtthecat

Quarlow

Quote from: crusty044 on September 19, 2011, 06:22:27 PM
Congratulations on your Canadian Bacon. If I could make it that good, I'll be shouting it from every rooftop around me.
I'm still licking my chops.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
Crusty you really need to try this. It is so easy. You won't be disapointed.

OBS
BBQ