• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking week started with mystery cut

Started by grnhs, September 10, 2011, 01:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grnhs

Bought this at Sam's a few weeks ago and assumed it was a packer(was in the brisket section)
Got several things out to thaw in the fridge the other day and noticed that it said"Beef round bottom-round cov."
Top package.

trimmed up and fat saved for deer sausage

definitly not a packer--
change of plans

two hunks of round and half a brisket from my rancher friend(gave it to me and told me to smoke it up and call him for dinner ;D)

ready to make the marinade

in the fridge for a little 14 hour nap, goes into the smoket at 1AM when I get off work, then I'll nap

The sirloin boulder is going to be nugget jerky tomorrow.

classicrockgriller

Nice looking mystery meat.

Found something that might help:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/106958/beef-round-round-tip-cov-knuckle-10-lbs

And there are a cple links off that one.

grnhs

Thanks Sonny, hard to tell from that what I really have.
Just not sure what IT to finish at.
I'm preheating to 235  then down to 210 for the night smoke, I'm rolling 4 hours of hickory. may smoke a little more in the AM  after dumping the pucks and checking things out. planning on uping temp to 225 when I'm awake and finishing at an IT of 160 one one of them and 180 on the other. the briskit will go between 180-190.
That is all subject to change, depending on my mood :)

beefmann

dont know what type of meat that is, sounds like you  do have aplan

classicrockgriller

Quote from: grnhs on September 10, 2011, 03:42:26 PM
Thanks Sonny, hard to tell from that what I really have.
Just not sure what IT to finish at.
I'm preheating to 235  then down to 210 for the night smoke, I'm rolling 4 hours of hickory. may smoke a little more in the AM  after dumping the pucks and checking things out. planning on uping temp to 225 when I'm awake and finishing at an IT of 160 one one of them and 180 on the other. the briskit will go between 180-190.
That is all subject to change, depending on my mood :)

Better keep an eye on it. It may cook faster than you think. (not the brisket)

ghost9mm

Well I'm just gonna wait to see the finished mystery meat...lol
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

grnhs

all ready for the smoker, one of the hunks I rinsed the maranade off of and slathered with jans rub and cym. the other is just maranade and the brisket is maranade and 1/2 briskit rub. I'm not, but give me a half hour. ;D

in the smoker at 210 for the unsupervised sleep smoke(trying to pick a pellet smoker,but that's another post)
Those mystery chunks were sure tough to put the probe in, this may be a longer cook than you or I thought Sonny.
Hope the fan works as anticipated for convection.

ttyl Dave

grnhs

classicrockgriller

OU812

I know I'm a little late here but I would only take that hunk of sirloin to 145 F

Thats just me.  ;D

grnhs

Quote from: OU812 on September 11, 2011, 08:29:13 AM
I know I'm a little late here but I would only take that hunk of sirloin to 145 F

Thats just me.  ;D

in hindsight I have to say you are right, its a little dry, but tender, thought about boating it but I like the bark.

grnhs

here's the other two pieces out of ftc.
going to cool the briskit and vac pac since my beef guy had to take his dad to rochester mn for lukemia treatment.
oh ya the other picsw from the first one I pulled out, pulled it at 165
second one at 170 and briskit at180

classicrockgriller

grnhs

ok, now that Faith Hill has sang I can finish this ;D

it eats pretty good
The one with the jans rub and cym that was pulled out at 170 is delish.
I'll have to let you know later about the briskit