• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pastrami....

Started by Mr Walleye, September 11, 2011, 10:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: jbullard1 on September 12, 2011, 09:51:19 AM
I have always liked store bought pastrami but just lately started making my own following Habs dry method.
For some reason the stuff just disappears when I seal it up I think the Pastrami Police (grandkids) come confiscate it
That is some gook looking stuff  8)

There is nothing like making your own corned beef and turning it into pastrami. It's like what many members say about making their own bacon. Once you make home made, the commercial stuff does taste as good. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Thanks again guys!

I couldn't agree more Habs, homemade is the only way to go!  ;)

My kids have already confiscated a bunch.  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

devo

Hey Mike
Thanks for the great pics. It has giving me some inspiration and motivation to give this a try. Got some beef in the wet brine mixture this morning.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: devo on September 13, 2011, 08:01:33 AM
Hey Mike
Thanks for the great pics. It has giving me some inspiration and motivation to give this a try. Got some beef in the wet brine mixture this morning.

Atta a boy Devo!  8)

You won't be sorry!  ;)

Mike

jbullard1

I feel I need to try the wet method as well and guess what; choice briskets are on sale for 1.99/# these are the big suckers weighing 10# or more each

devo

I have a question on the dry rub. Do you grind the spices real fine or just a course grind?

Mr Walleye

Quote from: devo on September 13, 2011, 01:28:26 PM
I have a question on the dry rub. Do you grind the spices real fine or just a course grind?

I just use a course grind. Kind of like a butcher grind pepper.

Mike

devo

Quote from: Mr Walleye on September 13, 2011, 01:31:09 PM
Quote from: devo on September 13, 2011, 01:28:26 PM

I just use a course grind. Kind of like a butcher grind pepper.

Mike

Thanks Mike
Don

FLBentRider

Quote from: Mr Walleye on September 13, 2011, 01:31:09 PMI just use a course grind. Kind of like a butcher grind pepper.

x2
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

I meant to add that I grind my spices separately. I find I can get a more uniform grind that way.

Mike

pikeman_95

Mike

I have never made pastrami before but I sure do love a Rubin sammy and that batch that you made sure looks good. I love the pictures.

Kirby

grnhs

Quote from: Mr Walleye on September 11, 2011, 10:51:10 AM
Thanks guys! I meant to add that I didn't have access to any juniper berries so I substituted Gin. It worked well at the rate of.... ahhh... I can't remember!  ;D

Maybe a few too many nips!  ::)

Just kiddin', I substituted 4 Tbs per gallon of brine! ;)

Mike
I got some Juniper berries and it has been a few years since i brought the boys up there fishing. Bring some up and meet you at Duncairn (Simi) or pelletiae(I don't know  its south of swift current) CAUGHT THE HECK OUT OF THE WALLey there.oops cap lock. Or I'll shoot geese. ;D can't see a guy without juniper berries.

Mr Walleye

grnhs

I'm familiar with the Lac Pelletier. I think it's about an hour South West of Swift Current. I've never fished there for some reason. It's probably 3 hours from here. I spent a lot of time on Last Mountain Lake which is only about an hour from here. Lots of walleye and lots of opportunity for big ones in the fall. I have a friend who spends lots of time fishing Lac Pelletier. Mainly because he works in the Swift Current area.

Mike