Brisket Disaster

Started by smokinroll, September 12, 2011, 06:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokinroll

Well I did my first smoke in my OBS on Saturday.  I smoked a full rack of bb-ribs and they were out of site, juicy, super tender and extremely flavorful.  That may have been a bad thing on my first smoke as I then assumed that this smokin stuff must be pretty easy!!! It was just my wife and I so we picked up a small 2.5 lb flat brisket untrimmed from the local butcher.  I told my wife the consensus on here was be assured you were buying choice cut untrimmed but we threw caution to the wind.  I have no idea what we bought but it was definitely a flat and pretty lean.  I smoked it for 3 hrs @ 215-220, then covered it with tin foil added apple juice and placed it back in the smoker at 215-220 for another hr till it hit 185 internal.  I then removed it and FTC'd for anther 1.5 hrs.  This blasted thing was like chewing a pack of bubbliciouus with a set of rubber dentures!!  The taste was off as well, it resembled beef jerky and failure.  Anyways guys, does it seem like I got ahold of the wrong cut?  How much difference does a choice cut make, and did the size affect the outcome?  Any other methods would be greatly appreciated as well.
Thanks
Rollie

classicrockgriller

First of all. No smoke is a bad smoke. You can still save what you got

by making chopped beef with sauce out of it.

I read what you posted twice and it looks like you did everything ok.

Just a couple of thoughts. Did you happen to use the lowest rack for your cook?

Sometimes that spot is too harsh for something like what you were cooking.

A select brisket does not have the fat strands that a choice does. I stopped

cooking select briskets period.

Gizmo

I have had great results with select and choice cuts of brisket but must also say, I have never done just a flat.
I have also eaten at one of the best rated BBQ places in Texas, and talked to the owner/pitmaster and was surprised to learn, they only use choice. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Mach1

Sorry I can't offer more help then this and it's not really advise, more of my experience.  I have smoked 7 briskets this summer 3 of which were under 7 lbs,  2 were around 3lbs I think, the other a little less then 5 and for some reason they all made a lot better chopped like CRG said 1 of them turned out about how yours sounded, so I've pretty much given up on anything less then around 7lbs unless I wanna chop it which is still good in my opinion-makes for great taco/fajitas!

Habanero Smoker

I mainly smoke/cook flats, because that is mainly what I can get without a special order. I generally get untrimmed cryovaced flats between 4.5 -  7+ pounds; and they turn out pretty good. I always get either choice, certified Angus or prime (when available).

If you had a select cut that could be one of the problems. Other issues could be the size, and being trimmed too much. On the other hand the method you used (braising; by foiling and adding a liquid) should have made a tender brisket.

Other then chopping you can try cutting it thinner, and make sure you are cutting across the grain.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

macsfire

Don't feel bad Smokinroll.  I bought a choice that still had a little of the point left on it, but most of it was flat.  It weighted 6.75 lbs and it took me 20 hr.s to get it to 186 IT.  It turned out dry.  I always have trouble with the flat.  they say it takes 1.5 to 2 hr.s per lb.  but for me it is more like 3 hr.s per lb.  unless I am cooking a point then they seem to cook pretty good.  I used garlic and pepper and salt on this one,  and although it taste good it is dry.  I haven't cook but about three so far, but the only one that turned out good is the point, and I marinated it over night with some wine marinate.  I wish I good figure out how to cook the flat's myself.  they seem like they take so long to get to the IT that it dries them out.

classicrockgriller

Go with a lower IT, like 175*

Make sure you cut your brisket across the grain of the meat like Habs said.

ghost9mm

What Habs and Sonney said...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

standles

I am not trying to be condescending but...

With an off taste and bubbulicios chewy you didn't perhaps grab a corned beef brisket flat did you?

Steven
\

squirtthecat

Just another thought on how to salvage it.

I've seen on another forum where a guy takes leftover brisket (good or bad), cubes it, and gives it a quick pulse in the food processor.   He then makes 'brisket salad' out of it.   Just like you would with your favorite ham/chicken/tuna salad recipe...

OU812

It just could have been the brisket.

I would give it another shot and cook it in the upper half of your smoker.

Theres still things you can use that brisket in.

You like egg rolls?

I make these all the time.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=20747.0

hal4uk

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 13, 2011, 02:45:09 AM
If you had a select cut that could be one of the problems.
Ditto.

"Select" simply means the USDA doesn't think it will kill you.
It does not imply that it has any marbling or flavor --- just that it's "safe" to eat.

When you step up to Choice, be aware that there is also a wide range of quality there...
Some of it was "almost Select" and some of it was "almost Prime".
Just gotta try some sources.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

SiFumar

Another late salvage idea.......I grind it with boiled potatoes, onion, jalapeno and green pepper.  Amounts depends on amount of meat.  Fry in bacon fat and you've got some yummy hash.

OU812

Quote from: SiFumar on September 14, 2011, 05:41:53 PM
Another late salvage idea.......I grind it with boiled potatoes, onion, jalapeno and green pepper.  Amounts depends on amount of meat.  Fry in bacon fat and you've got some yummy hash.

Hash is gooood too.

smokinroll

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions.  I will put an order in at Costco for a 7lb choice point next time and see if there is a difference.  I will make sure the next cut I buy has a good fat cap on it as well.  I looked at a 7lb brisket yesterday at the store and it had a fat cap about 1 inch thick.  The thing I smoked had what most would consider marbling on top, a very thin layer of fat hardly even measurable.  I think the lack of a fat cap had a major factor in the flavor and consistency of this meat.