Brisket Disaster

Started by smokinroll, September 12, 2011, 06:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

What you really want to try is a "Packer" in the 10 to 12 lb range.

A packer has the flat and the point intact.

smokinroll

Picked an 11.5 lb choice packer.  Got family coming over for my Birthday dinner tomorrow.  Should I estimate 1.5 hrs per lb again?

classicrockgriller

close, maybe 20 hours with FTC

if it is all done in the Bradley.

if you move it to the oven after the smoke, the 1.5 hrs per lb is probably real close.

Uncle Pigfat

Happy birthday!  This probably would have been more beneficial earlier, but I usually start my briskets of that size around 10 pm the night before and they usually finish around 2 or 3 pm at the latest the next day (I've been lucky and haven't had a stubborn brisket that goes over 18 hours yet) and I let FTC take care of the rest until dinner time.  I've kept one in FTC for over 6 hours before with no ill effects so I'd err on the side of caution.  Having it come out too early is better than having people wondering if you know what you're doing when dinner time was hours ago and you still have meat trying to hit the right temp.  1.5 hours/pound is a good average to assume if your smoker holds temp (no peeking) and is out of the direct sun and wind.

smokinroll

Wow not sure what's going on. It reached an IT of 190 at 12 hrs?  Is this normal?  Haven't carved into it yet as I am now 6 hrs ahead of what was planned.  The 1.5 hr per lb was nowhere near accuate.

classicrockgriller

It's all Good!

Two layers of Foil.

Triple layers of towels.

Cooler or unused Microwave.

It will hold in FTC for a long time.

smokinroll

Suggestions appreciated.  I just got home,  someone was able to FTC it for me at 190. But it now has an IT of 131 with 4 hrs still to go until we eat.  what should the ideal temp be to serve?  Secondly, this thing has been sitting in the cooler since 9:40 am and dinner is at 6 pm?  Should I add more apple juice since it has been sitting there since this morning in less than an ideal temp. Went steelhead fishing this morning thinking everything would be fine with the thought it would take 17 hrs to cook.  Came home to this pleasant surprise and on top of it we only caught 2 bass and no steelies !!!

classicrockgriller

You can add the juice in the foil and put into a second

pan and place in the oven at 190 to 200* and hold it there

till time to eat. Be sure and cut across the grain of the meat.

smokinroll

The extra time added to FCP and holding in the oven created a master piece!  All the guests commented on how delicious it was.  The meat came out extremely juicy and soft without being too soft or dried out.  Several people commented it was the best brisket they had ever had, my wife included I feel biased saying anything.  I still can't get over how moist and juicy the meat was!!  This was a definite winner, in the end this is how it went down.  11.5 lb brisket in the oven at 10pm, recieved 4.5 hrs of half cherry half hickory.  Foiled and covered with 1/2 cup apple juice on bottom, spitz on top and into the oven at 215 at 3:30am.  Reached internal IT 190 at 9:40 am, removed from oven FCP'd for 5 hrs while temp dipped to 135 IT.  Rewrapped brisket in tin foil with 1/2 apple juice on bottom at 3pm and put back into oven slowly increasing temp every hour until desired IT temp of 180 was reached again at 6pm.  Truly amazingly juicy, flavorful, soft brisket!!!!

classicrockgriller

SURE WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME PICS!

Glad everything worked for ya.

Now you are ready to do more.

Just to keep you Politically correct it called FTC.

Foil/Towel/Cooler

Quarlow

That monkey will keep you on the right path Brotha. Congrats on a awesome meal but wheres the dang pics.  ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

smokinroll

Here are some pics of the brisket reheated the next day.  Still pretty moist and very delicious.

classicrockgriller

OH MY!

U R a Brisket King.

Very NIce and Thanks for the pics.

ghost9mm

For sure on the pic's...it really looks super good...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

hal4uk

Hey y'all...  Where is CaneyScud's brisket (braise) recipe?
For that matter, WTH is Caney?

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby