• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

MOD question on my OBS Generator

Started by cajunboudreaux, September 13, 2011, 08:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajunboudreaux

Is there a mod out there that will slow down the timing of the puck advance system? Or will Bradley put a setting on the generator that may do this in the future?
Laissez les bon temps rouler

classicrockgriller

Quote from: cajunboudreaux on September 13, 2011, 08:50:43 AM
Is there a mod out there that will slow down the timing of the puck advance system? Or will Bradley put a setting on the generator that may do this in the future?

It's call the hand mod.

You can put one puck on the bradley at a time and burn it to a crisp if you want.

The 20 minutes per puck is almost perfect for pure smoke.

cajunboudreaux

LOL. Yeah well I am to fat and lazy for that.. Was just thinking outloud. I am trying to get used to this new smoker.

muebe

If you want to spend some money on Bubba Pucks or make your own as others have you can alternate the stack between a Bubba Puck and a wood puck. This would change the time for a wood puck every 40 minutes. Then just add more Bubba Pucks to extend the amount of time between smoke pucks ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Tenpoint5

New Bradley Smoker should be the same as the Old Bradley smoker they have always been 20 minutes then cycle a new puck on 20 minutes cycle again
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

You could put in 3 pucks and advance till the first one is on the hot plate, then when you feel you got the smoke outta the puck on the hot plate drop in another puck and advance it to put the next one on the hot plate.

And so on and so forth.

viper125

From what I read you would run into the same problem as burning real wood. The first smoke is the best then as it burns you get more tar and acid smoke. It takes a really hot fire in a wood burner to get around this. You can't get that heat in a Bradley.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

NePaSmoKer

Well anyone who has had Bradleys for so long knows you pre heat the slide before loading the pucks? This way when the tube is loaded the burner is already to temp and will burn pucks to an ash. OUI  :o

cajunboudreaux

This has nothing to do with preheating ::). I was just wondering if there was something out there or coming out that would slow the advancement down from 20 minutes to say 35 or 40 minutes. i understand that you can use bubba bucks as well of how clean the bradley burns and 20 minutes is perfect. just my opinion but i thought it would be cool to be able to adjust the timing on the pucks for some that might like things less smokey.i like to over do it but i have picky customers.

muebe

Quote from: cajunboudreaux on September 15, 2011, 08:21:39 AM
This has nothing to do with preheating ::). I was just wondering if there was something out there or coming out that would slow the advancement down from 20 minutes to say 35 or 40 minutes. i understand that you can use bubba bucks as well of how clean the bradley burns and 20 minutes is perfect. just my opinion but i thought it would be cool to be able to adjust the timing on the pucks for some that might like things less smokey.i like to over do it but i have picky customers.

"Less smokey" = use less pucks ::)
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

KyNola

Bobby, put 3 pucks in the feeder tube.  Advance until the first one is on the puck burner.  At the end of 20 minutes the OBS will try to advance another puck but won't be able to as there are only 3 so the spent puck will continue to sit on the burner.  When you want additional smoke, add 1 puck to the feeder tube and press advance 1 time.  It will feed the 4th puck and knock the burnt puck into the water bowl.  Now the same thing will happen again.  After 20 minutes OBS will try to advnace another puck but won't be able to.

There's your solution.  A bit more manual labor than normal but that will accomplish what you are looking for.

mikecorn.1

Little late on the topics and please excuse my ignorance :p. What is the purpose of having the cycle of the puck advancement increased to over 20 min. Can't you control that with the auber pid? Could swear that I read on instructions thy you can control the smoke generator. Take it easy on me 8) :) ;)
Mike

muebe

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on September 15, 2011, 10:57:58 AM
Little late on the topics and please excuse my ignorance :p. What is the purpose of having the cycle of the puck advancement increased to over 20 min. Can't you control that with the auber pid? Could swear that I read on instructions thy you can control the smoke generator. Take it easy on me 8) :) ;)

Mike the Auber only controls the power to the generator and not the puck timing..

cajunboudreaux

Kynola, didn't you see my second reply I am fat and lazy..lol. ;D.. Thanks for all your help, i will try it that way once i get the new parts..

OU812

Quote from: KyNola on September 15, 2011, 10:41:45 AM
Bobby, put 3 pucks in the feeder tube.  Advance until the first one is on the puck burner.  At the end of 20 minutes the OBS will try to advance another puck but won't be able to as there are only 3 so the spent puck will continue to sit on the burner.  When you want additional smoke, add 1 puck to the feeder tube and press advance 1 time.  It will feed the 4th puck and knock the burnt puck into the water bowl.  Now the same thing will happen again.  After 20 minutes OBS will try to advnace another puck but won't be able to.

There's your solution.  A bit more manual labor than normal but that will accomplish what you are looking for.

Like I said.  ;D

Quote from: OU812 on September 13, 2011, 12:39:42 PM
You could put in 3 pucks and advance till the first one is on the hot plate, then when you feel you got the smoke outta the puck on the hot plate drop in another puck and advance it to put the next one on the hot plate.

And so on and so forth.