Just Arrived

Started by bayfisherman, December 03, 2005, 12:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayfisherman

My SS smoker just arrived via UPS. I will be up early and off to the butcher shop. Anybody have any tips I should know about the smoker.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Bayfisherman,

Welcome to the forum. Make sure you season it. I wouldn't trust the door thermometer; get something more accurate. Then fire that baby up and give us a report![;)]

Arcs_n_Sparks

manxman

Welcome to the forum bayfisherman,[:)]

as arcs_n_sparks says, seasoning is the first important thing to do. Getting a separate thermometer is also very good advice.

The best tip I can give is to remember there is a whole host of information here on the forum that should answer most of your questions, and if you cannot find what you want, just ask!

No question is too stupid or trivial, we have all had to learn the ropes and the help I received was invaluable.

Also see:

http://www.susanminor.org/

Manxman.
Manxman

JJC

Welcome to the Forum--another Marylander (along with the Medinas from the Eastern Shore).

Make absolutely certain that you check out the New Owner Topic on the the link that Manx just gave you.  It's also stickied at the top of every Forum on this board, too.

Good luck and share your experiences with us!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

bayfisherman

Thanks for the advice.[:D]

IKnowWood

Welcome, I am pretty new as well.  Only a few smokes done thus far.  Still learning and having fun (sometimes).  the 20hr smoke mistake was a bit trying but it ended up tasting good - learned to have the shoulder bone removed and make sure its a Boston Butt.

bayfisherman-   check the topic on recall notice.  since yours is recent it might be one of those in the recall.

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

bayfisherman

Sorry for the delay in posting the out come of my first smoke. The Bradley smoker is the bomb. Smoked a Boston Butt with hickory and it is great. Looking forward to many more smokes.

IKnowWood

This time of year here in Maryland is great for cold smoking, try some cheese or even other tiems.  I did some Pistachios this weekend and they are great.  Not to cold and sunny much of the time.  

IKnowWood

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by IKnowWood</i>
<br />This time of year here in Maryland is great for cold smoking, try some cheese or even other tiems.  I did some Pistachios this weekend and they are great.  Not to cold and sunny much of the time.  

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Johnny,
I'm thrilled you like the pistachios!  Did you do them like I do or did you change anything?  I'm always eager to hear about new ideas!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

IKnowWood

John

It was a last moment decision.  I was cold smoking dome Jarlsberg with Cherry for an hour then some thick cut bacon in Hichory.  When I put the cheese in, it hit me that I has some good Jumbo Pistachios in the Pantry.  Regular roasted and salted, I put them on a Jerky pan so they would not fall out and slide them in.  1 hour on the Cherry, I left them in when I put the bacon on with Hickory and took them out 30 minutes later.  so 90 minutes of smoking with Cheery & Hickroy.

Imediate taste was real good.  I let them sit, I was busy doing other stuff.  

A few days later I got them out of the zipper bag and they were so much better.  I am hooked.  Thanks to you John to mentioning it.  

I may try something different, maybe warm smoking them with some other spices.  Maybe some citrus and sea salt might be good.  Might try to spray them with some lemon or lime juice with fresh crushed sea salt and warm smoked for an hour.  What do you think?  I was going to do some ABTs this weekend, might pickup some Jumbo's and try it.

IKnowWood

JJC

Definitely give those variations a try!  Let me know how they turn out . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bayfisherman</i>
<br />Sorry for the delay in posting the out come of my first smoke. The Bradley smoker is the bomb. Smoked a Boston Butt with hickory and it is great. Looking forward to many more smokes.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Glad the BB came out great--it's a terrific way to get started with the BS!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA