Cabbage Rolls My Way. Pulled Pork

Started by devo, September 14, 2011, 11:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

Had some pulled pork in the freezer and needed to  un-thaw for lunch meat for work this week. Also had a graving for cabbage rolls. So why not pulled pork cabbage rolls.
Ingredients:

1 large head of green cabbage
    1 large carrot, diced (optional)
    1 celery stalk, diced (optional)
    1 onion, diced
    4 cloves garlic, diced
     1/pk of  mushrooms
    3 cups pulled pork
    1 cup BBQ sauce
    2 cups chicken stock
    2 cups cooked long grain brown rice
    1 29-oz can tomato sauce

BBQ Sauce I used. (came in the last case of Budweiser I bought  ;D)

Directions

Trim the stalk off the bottom of the cabbage. Carefully remove as many leaves as possible, being careful to not split them.
    Fill a stockpot with enough water to cover the cabbage leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer cabbage leaves for 8 minutes. ( I found it easier to steam or drop whole cabbage into hot water to loosen the leafs. )
    Drain, reserving 1 cup of the water.
    In a large mixing bowl, combine carrot, celery, onion, garlic, pork, BBQ sauce and cooked rice. Mix well. Your hands work best.
    In a second mixing bowl, combine reserved cabbage water, chicken stock and tomato paste. Mix well and set aside.
    Time to roll. Carefully select a cabbage leaf and lay flat with the stem side facing you. Place about a 1/4 cup of filling in the center. Tuck in the sides of the leaf and fold in half, up to the filling. At the filling, slightly tuck and then roll. I'll be honest, this takes a little practice. Hang in there!
    Place the cabbage roll back in the stock pot. Continue with remaining rolls, stacking neatly in the stockpot.
    Cover cabbage rolls with the tomato sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for an hour.
    Carefully remove cabbage rolls and place in a baking dish. Tightly cover with aluminum foil and place in an oven at warm.
    Bring tomato sauce to a boil, uncovered and reduce heat to medium. Allow mixture to reduce by half.
    Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste and ladle over cabbage rolls.

The Pulled Pork

The Garlic & Onions getting happy together

The Brown Rice, Mushrooms, Onion, Garlic, pulled pork & BBQ sauce all mixed up.

Rolling up the Cabbage Rolls

I got 13 jumbo Cabbage Rolls out of one head of cabbage.

Combining reserved cabbage water, chicken stock and tomato paste with stacked cabbage rolls.

Into a crock pot on high till dinner. mixture should reduce by half.

pensrock

looks good, here in pa we call them 'pigs'.  :)
never had one with pork, normally ground beef or like a meatloaf mix with rice mixed in.
man I could eat a bunch of them, mmmm.
Let us know how they come out using the pork.

OU812

I loooooove cabage rolls and them babys look GREAT!

Like pens said,,,,,,have only had them with a beef mixture in them.

Waitin for the money shot.  ;)

devo

They smell great, just waiting a bit longer for them to be done and then the money shot. Never did them this way before.

devo

Sorry for the messly plate but this is my second one.......dam good.

ghost9mm

Yes Sir...here in Pa they are called pigs and they are really good, a few of them and some adult beverages...you gotta meal...lol...devo they really are good and they smell soooooo good..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SiFumar

OU812

sparky1

26.75 OTG
18.5 WSM