Wear and Tear on the Bradley Smoker

Started by SSF_Smoker, September 17, 2011, 07:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSF_Smoker

All,

I've had my smoker for almost a year now and have used it many a times and it's showing some signs of wear:

1.  On the smoke generator housing where the heating plate/track connects I am noticing some peeling going on.  Is this a fire hazard?  Should I just peel off whatever is loose?

2. On the inside I am noticing some flaking of the patina as well.  I understand that this is normal however.  Do any of you fully clean out the inside?  aka, scrape off any loose flakes?

3.  Some peeling also noticed on the top of the smoker box, specifically in the vent area.  Is this normal?

Now I have to admit, I'm not the best at fully cleaning this thing after every smoke.  I've read some of the posts here regarding fires and such.  Should I be worried?

But overall, this thing is great and I receive accolades all the time about how great my ribs/pulled pork/briskets are.  :)

Have a great weekend all!

V

squirtthecat

Just knock the peeling/flakes off with some crushed up tinfoil.   That's all you really need to do to the cabinet. 

Quarlow

I am with Squirt only I just crumple up a sheet of newspaper and give it a light rub. As for the peeling around the vent, just unscrew the vent and give it a good cleaning on the outside and a light rub with the newspaper on the inside. The same goes for around the smoke generator. All it is is dry smoke, shouldn't be a fire hazard at all.  Glad you are enjoying your smoker.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

NePaSmoKer

Heck no

The crustier it is the better it smokes.

Tenpoint5

Get you a tooth brush that is brass or stainless steel. That will work real good at cleaning the slide plate and the puck burner surface. You will get better smoke if you keep the puck burner clean and free of burnt on ash residue.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 17, 2011, 09:07:39 AM
Get you a tooth brush that is brass or stainless steel.
Must raise them tough in your area that they brush their teeth with brass or stainless steel>
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

If you are getting some peeling in the smoke generator, you

may want to check your vent setting.

It should be 3/4 to full open and full open for chicken, jerky, etc.

mikecorn.1

You can try to use an air jose and
Blow the loose stuff off. (gently).

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

macsfire

Has any one covered the v tray with aluminum foil.  It seams like this would make clean up a lot easier.

devo

The vents in the V-tray allow the heat to go up to the top of the smoker, the hole in the center of the V-tray allows grease to drop into the water bowl. If you put tin foil on it make sure you cut all the slites and hole open. I would just spray some pam on it instead. i take mine to the car wash and use their high presure sprayer. Works real fast.  ;)

Tenpoint5

It is highly suggested that you DO NOT use foil on your V-tray and in the owners manual it says NOT to use foil in the Bradley
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

macsfire

Thanks  I  was just thinking about clean up.  I use spam but still have a lot scrubbing. 

classicrockgriller

Quote from: macsfire on September 18, 2011, 06:50:58 AM
Thanks  I  was just thinking about clean up.  I use spam but still have a lot scrubbing. 

I spray mine with a HI-Temp grill spray.

For clean up, if you scrape it while it is warm most will come off.

If I forget then I use Dawn Power Dissolver. Spray it down and let it sit

and "Most" of the stuff will rinse off.

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 18, 2011, 08:09:21 AM
If I forget then I use Dawn Power Dissolver. Spray it down and let it sit
and "Most" of the stuff will rinse off.

Ditto!    Then a couple rinses and into the dishwasher it goes..   As long as the holes don't get plugged up, I don't lose any sleep over any burned on gunk.

mrphilips

hey guys... another canadian (but not in the warmer west-coast).
i am interested in getting an OBS, as the PBS just proves to be too difficult to maintain and use. a lot of issues i have had for so-so results.

but... i have a couple of slipped discs and a back deck - no shed, garage or basement.
can this mama be stored outside?
what's the best between-use state?
also, how do you winter it?