• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking Elk Jerky Today, Need Help

Started by Gutpile, December 04, 2005, 04:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gutpile

Howdy everyone, I am fairly new to this smoking stuff. I am smoking my jerky today, and I could use a little help. I made some jerky about a week ago with burger and jerky seasoning. I used a jerky gun and made strips. I used the mesquite and smoked for about 3 hours total. One thing I did that I see now I shouldn't have was to put water in the pan. Anyway, the jerky turned out very very smoky tasting. Didn't really care for it too much. I have a batch of whole muscle elk brining right now, and would like some tips on how to do this so I don't wreck this stuff too. I have mesquite, hickory, alder, and special blend. Which should I use? Sorry about the long read, andy advice would be greatly appreciated.

Happiness is a steaming gutpile!!

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

Gutpile welcome to the forum, first thing 3 hours of mesquite WOW [xx(] , use hickory for 2 hours, fill water bowl 1/4 full , pre heat smoker to around 200  or less, let jerky sit out to get to room temp befor putting in. vent open about 1/4 for first 2 hours then wide open and rotate racks often , any cure in brine? if not you are looking at about 6 hours to be done, remember to rotate racks often after 2 hours of smoke and then as small pieces are done first pull out. have fun,

Gutpile

Thanks for the reply, I have the jerky smoking now. I am trying the special blend wood. I was wondering, should I just smoke for about 2 hours, then turn the generator off, and finish off with no smoke? Also, what temp would you smoke at, and should you change the temp later on, or just leave it the same all the time? Thanks.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

smoke for 2 hours , after smoke leave smoke gen ON, temp at 200 and below the whole time.

Gutpile

So I just leave the generator on with no bisquettes in right?

boxertrio

yes

Glenn

White smoke good...Black smoke bad!!
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

Gutpile

Thanks, I will let you all know how it turns out.

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Kevin!  You can already see there is a wealth of knowledge here.  While some on the Forum refer to mesquite as the Devil Wood (Duck-man, where ARE you . . .?), many of us do use it.  However, in my experience it provides a stronger taste in a shorter time than the other wood pucks available (hey, consider it the Bargain Wood!).  So, if you like mesquite flavor on your jerky, I would try it again, but perhaps use only 4 pucks (80 min) rather than 3 hr.

John
Newton MA

P.S.--nice moniker . . . is there a story behind it, or shouldn't I ask?
John
Newton MA