prime rib

Started by meatman787, December 08, 2005, 10:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meatman787

just got my first bs and would like to do a rib roast in the smoker for the holiday. can anyone help with this one.....thanks

Brother Bill

We have smoked a large prime rib last fall, on a large charcoal smoker, and it was very overcooked. Then we used a BS at 2 hrs. smoke.@ 225F- returned to a pre-heated oven(uncovered) at 300F until 235F-Then, FTC for 2hrs. It was excellent!--- Be certain you use a good Rub With S&P to your taste Also you must use a TOP GRADE PRIME RIB!!Good Luck![:D]

Brother Bill

meatman787

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

bsolomon

Brother Bill,

I sincerely hope you meant to type "until <font color="red">1</font id="red">35F", because cooking TOP GRADE PRIME RIB to an internal temp of 235F would certainly make me want to cry, and might even be considered a criminal act in some states...

iceman

I think it's legal to hang the cook for making a well done prime rib up here. I can understand the crusty end pieces but like bsolomon says 135 would be the magic number. That scared me![:0]

Big or small you can smoke'm all!!!

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">but only one P-rib if you want the best. It has to be off of the largest end of the rib. Normally these only go to the upper end resturants. However, you might be able to get one from a speciality meat shop.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
bsolomon and iceman hit the nail on the head with their comments about temperature along with the one above from Oldman of a while ago.
Prime rib roast is my firm favourite, we have a local butcher who dry ages and butchers all his own meat and his rib roasts are the nearest thing to food heaven that I can imagine. [:p]

My idea of the perfect rib roast is 3-4 ribs worth (8-12 lbs) of dry aged meat with a good covering of fat.

To cook:

Turn the oven up to 230C/450F and leave to heat up.
Put the rib roast in the roasting tray fat side up then apply good quality olive oil all over.
Rub thoroughly with freshly ground sea salt and black pepper, amount to individual taste. I hate anything else on my rib roasts but that is individual choice!
Put the roast in the oven for <b>no more than 30 minutes</b> to seal then take out of oven.... it will be sizzling nicely at this point but don't worry!
Drop oven temperature to around 140C/290F, leaving oven door open a minute of two to allow oven to cool from previously high temperature.
Return rib roast to oven and cook for about 12 minutes per pound for a medium rare finish. (adjust time for personnal preference)which will equate to around 60C/135F internal.

Let stand for at least 30 minutes when out of the oven before carving.

Serve suggestion....... sweet potato mash and garlic spinach.

Manxman.
Manxman

iceman

I just had breakfast and now ya got me thinking of prime rib! Excellent sounding recipe manxman[^][^][^]

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I just had breakfast and now ya got me thinking of prime rib!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

And I've just finished work on the other side of the pond....... no prizes for guessing what I'm having for tea!! [:p][;)]

Manxman.
Manxman

Gordon

my guess would be....tea?

Gordo

Chez Bubba

Manx,

Basic rule of thumb here is you Brits eat bland, tasteless, boring food. Supposed "British Pubs" here serve bland, tasteless, boring food.

I've read too many of your posts to believe that to be true. Is the American perception completely wrong or are you an oddity amongst your countrymen?

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

iceman

I'm with Chez! I used to love to watch Gordon Ramsey "Kitchen from Hell" version on BBS and I think the whole bland thing is played up. Some wierd dishes showed up but definatly not bland. I hope there are a lot more folks over there like you that enjoy some of the best tasting food in the world (SMOKE COOKED).[^] What's your favorite types of meals over yonder? I"m always curious to hear what other people concider comfort food.[:p]

manxman

We have some great chef's at the moment such as Gordon Ramsey, Rick Stein and Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall who have done a great deal to alter people's perception of food over here, perhaps changed the "eat to live" philosophy into a "live to eat" one somewhat..... i.e push boundaries, it's not a sin to actually enjoy what you eat!

I think what Chez says was probably true 10 - 15 years ago and more but nowadays it has changed a lot, I have half a dozen friends who are like minded and like to broaden our horizons but we are probably still in a minority! For example a high proportion of my friends have their steaks "well done"..... a crime in my view.

I am also exceptionally lucky where I live, we really do have some of the best quality meat in the world and a couple of great butchers, I can catch fish, crabs and lobster in the summer, barter for a lamb or beef with the fish I catch and get a great deal of satisfaction giving friends and work colleagues offerings done in the BS to try.

Not many people are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to do all this.

The one thing we dont have is the weather, wet and windly makes smoking or bbq'ing rather difficult! Would definately appreciate more sun and more snow!

We Brits are also pretty reserved in general, I also think the food thing is just an extension of that sometimes!

Plus my experience of British pubs in America, Spain, Portugal or wherever is generally awful, particularly in America I think they pander to what the Americans expect of British food and then do the fish and chips, steak and kidney pie or whatever badly! We have some great pub food over here.

So what do I like..... you name it I like it from Thai to Mexican to American to British, it is perhaps easier to say the only thing I detest is beetroot but thats another story.

We all have perceptions which are very often false, many Brits think America is all about fast food and quantity, not quality. From my three visits to the US and being on the forum here I know that is a very false perception, particularly when you get away from the tourist areas.

However one area that I think we beat the world at is the traditional British breakfast! I have a day off today, I am just off down the local cafe for mine!!! With a large mug of tea!![;)]

Manxman.
Manxman

Brother Bill

Just read my recipe @ 235F instead of 135F. SORRY[:(] If I did that 235F at home I am afraid my family would suggest that I go on vacation for A year or so--ALONE.

Brother Bill

birdboy

Good timing on the post, I want to do one as well over the holidays.  I was looking for timing, looks like NSXBill had a smoke to completion time of 4 hours.