• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Maybe I expect too much from a brisket

Started by jimmyb, September 30, 2011, 03:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyb

Ha, I love this forum!

TO provide some more info, I was cooking at a steady 220* cabinet tem second rack from the top. The rub I used was a McCormic Cowboy rub that I really like for a change. I applied some Jim Beam smoke for four hrs.

So here is where the problem was IMHO. As I stated before, I was taking the IT in a few different places in the flat. Both probes were in the flat just under the point.  After only about 6-7 hrs in I noticed the two probes were reading 190 ish and then one went to around 196 and the other was around 187. The cook time didn't seem right and neither sis the fork test. I checked other places in the flat further away from the point and the IT was around 174*. I inserted both probes in that general area and took it out when one read 196* and one was ~187*.  Probes were very close together so I'm not sure why I was getting such inconsistent results. This was still only 7.5 hrs into the cook time on about a 7.5 lb brisket. Seems too short of a time.

DTAggie

It does seem like a short time, but if two probes are saying it is done, I would pull it and stop cooking.  Keep in FTC a few hours to let juices set and slice up.  Everything else sounded just fine.

Caneyscud

If worried about your probes.  You can test them.  Boiling water is 212 and frozen water is 32.  Just don't dip more than the tip into water.  Water can get into the connection and damage the tip. 

As far as time - 1 hour per pound is not all that rare, especially with a thin-sorta-packer-but-mainly-flat cut that probably had much of the fat trimmed.  When I go to one of my big smokers, even the rotisserie, they often start coming off in less than 1 hr per pound.  In fact the last time I did a dozen or so - the first was done in less than 1 hr/lb and the last came off 1.15 hr/lb if I remember correctly.  But that is a big smoker running a little hotter that 225 - it is less prone to temperature dips - that is if the operator doesn't fall asleep. 

As an IFR licensed pilot has to learn to rely on his instruments, we have to learn to rely on our thermos.   But then again if that IFR pilot notices that his instruments are flying him into the side of a mountain - he must make a correction.  That's why we do the tenderness tests.  My opinion, and you can take my opinion and 50 cents and go buy you a 1/2 cup of coffee (or 1/4 depending on where you buy your cup), is that it was probably done at 185 or so.  Bacon draping, fat capping, and mopping as all things that could help retain moisture. 

I just don't do flats, for one thing they are usually more expensive that a packer around here, so I can't give much more advice than that.  However, many, many others do flats very successfully.  I'm sure more will chime in with helpful hints and advice.  So check your probes and try again.  You'll get it dialed in.  In the mean time - be sure to not trash a dry brisket - If you've never had Burnt Ends - you are in for a treat!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

DTAggie

Quote from: Caneyscud on October 05, 2011, 09:52:53 AM
If worried about your probes.  You can test them.  Boiling water is 212 and frozen water is 32.  Just don't dip more than the tip into water.  Water can get into the connection and damage the tip. 

As far as time - 1 hour per pound is not all that rare, especially with a thin-sorta-packer-but-mainly-flat cut that probably had much of the fat trimmed.  When I go to one of my big smokers, even the rotisserie, they often start coming off in less than 1 hr per pound.  In fact the last time I did a dozen or so - the first was done in less than 1 hr/lb and the last came off 1.15 hr/lb if I remember correctly.  But that is a big smoker running a little hotter that 225 - it is less prone to temperature dips - that is if the operator doesn't fall asleep. 

As an IFR licensed pilot has to learn to rely on his instruments, we have to learn to rely on our thermos.   But then again if that IFR pilot notices that his instruments are flying him into the side of a mountain - he must make a correction.  That's why we do the tenderness tests.  My opinion, and you can take my opinion and 50 cents and go buy you a 1/2 cup of coffee (or 1/4 depending on where you buy your cup), is that it was probably done at 185 or so.  Bacon draping, fat capping, and mopping as all things that could help retain moisture. 

I just don't do flats, for one thing they are usually more expensive that a packer around here, so I can't give much more advice than that.  However, many, many others do flats very successfully.  I'm sure more will chime in with helpful hints and advice.  So check your probes and try again.  You'll get it dialed in.  In the mean time - be sure to not trash a dry brisket - If you've never had Burnt Ends - you are in for a treat!

Caney - want to fly me for my next sky dive?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: jimmyb on October 05, 2011, 08:23:39 AM
Ha, I love this forum!

TO provide some more info, I was cooking at a steady 220* cabinet tem second rack from the top. The rub I used was a McCormic Cowboy rub that I really like for a change. I applied some Jim Beam smoke for four hrs.

So here is where the problem was IMHO. As I stated before, I was taking the IT in a few different places in the flat. Both probes were in the flat just under the point. After only about 6-7 hrs in I noticed the two probes were reading 190 ish and then one went to around 196 and the other was around 187. The cook time didn't seem right and neither sis the fork test. I checked other places in the flat further away from the point and the IT was around 174*. I inserted both probes in that general area and took it out when one read 196* and one was ~187*.  Probes were very close together so I'm not sure why I was getting such inconsistent results. This was still only 7.5 hrs into the cook time on about a 7.5 lb brisket. Seems too short of a time.

From the location of your probes you where probably in the fat ribbon that runs between the point and the flat. Which will give you false readings. I put my probes in the thickest part of the flat. That would be my guess on this one
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

Quote from: DTAggie on October 05, 2011, 08:16:58 PM
Quote from: Caneyscud on October 05, 2011, 09:52:53 AM

Caney - want to fly me for my next sky dive?

DT - I have flown before, but I'm not good on take offs and landings - or at least I don't think so, I've never done either one.  And those things are important to a happy trip! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"