Any pepper pro's out there?

Started by steve-o, October 07, 2011, 04:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve-o

I grew some peppers for the first time this year, some jalepenos and these chilis. I am not sure what to do with the chilis and am looking for suggestions. The package for the chilis just said 'super chili hybrid'. Some have turned red, but most are still green but I think I better harvest them all now. I was going to smoke and dry the jalepenos and grind em to a powder. And I was thinkin of doing the same with the chilis  except just cut the top of them all. I dont have a dehydrator but could borrow one if necessary but was thinkin of doing it all in my smoker. Any thoughts of how much smoke and what temperature to do it at? Also should I leave the the water pan empty? Any thoughts on what to do with the chilis is appreciated.

ArnieM

Nice crop Steve!  If you want to dehydrate in the Bradley, leave the water pan empty.  If you want smoke, you need water in the pan.

Cut some into rings and pickle them.  Send me a PM if you need any hints.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

3rensho

With some of our hot peppers we cut them into rings and cover with EVOO.  After a couple of months you can use the then orange colored oil to pep up salad dressing or use both the oil and the peppers in something like a goulash.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

Nice crop of chile peppers. I'm by no means a pro, but the top picture looks like a variety of Serrano peppers, and the bottom picture looks like Tabasco peppers.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

steve-o

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 08, 2011, 01:54:51 AM
Nice crop of chile peppers. I'm by no means a pro, but the top picture looks like a variety of Serrano peppers, and the bottom picture looks like Tabasco peppers.

I am pretty sure they are both the same variety, the first plant in the first picture seemed to do better than the other. The angle of the first picture makes them look bigger than they are. I planted a bunch of seeds from 2 different packs but they both had the name 'super chili' in them but were different brands of seeds...not sure if they are different or not. I also planted some jalepenos and a blue hot pepper called 'little blues' that got some fruit too.

Habanero Smoker

It looks like the first picture the peppers are growing from the stem down, and the other from the stem up.

I'm sure Pens or Chilihead will know.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

steve-o

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 08, 2011, 02:19:41 AM
It looks like the first picture the peppers are growing from the stem down, and the other from the stem up.

I'm sure Pens or Chilihead will know.

You may be right, i will see if i still have the packages kickin around. I just remember the names were similiar as were the pictures on the packs. I didnt label the pots so I am not sure which are which.

Chili Head

They look like a variety of tabasco peppers from looking at the pictures. You can make hot sauce, vac seal some and freeze, dry some, and roast some. Oh yeah nows the perfect time to make salsa too :D
Nice crop of peppers there. Make some abt's out of some of your jalapeño's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve-o

Thanks for the ideas, I would like to try a making a hot sauce, do you have a recipe for it? The purple(blue) peppers are pretty small so I may either try to make a sauce or powder out of them. Most of them are about the size of a pistachio.

jiggerjams

I have friends that say they just vacuum seal fresh and store i the freezer for future use is sauces and stews.

muebe

Those small purple ones look just like "Purple Super Hots" from the Aero Garden pepper kit. If they are they are rated at 140,000 to 160,000 scoville units :o
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

steve-o

Quote from: muebe on October 09, 2011, 07:32:54 PM
Those small purple ones look just like "Purple Super Hots" from the Aero Garden pepper kit. If they are they are rated at 140,000 to 160,000 scoville units :o

Ya, they are probably the same type, they are hot. I think I am gonna dehydrate those and grind em up. Hopefully it works out  ;D