• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

This came with no BOX

Started by Sailor, October 15, 2011, 04:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Been looking for a slicer and checking craigslist daily.  Wanted a slicer to slice bacon and I know 10.5 has one and says it works great for bacon.  I had been curing a belly and it went in the smoker this morning and I was not looking forward to hand slicing it.  Check craigslist this afternoon and there it was!  Paid $12.00 for it (no box) and I am hoping it will do the job.

10.5 Maple cured slabs getting ready to get 2 hours of hickory.

Here they are just coming out of the 126 degree stall.

Will let them come up to IT of 150 and then take the skin off and put in fridge overnight.  Then get to see how the slicer works.  I am thinking that this could be a 2 person operation with the safety button in this thing.  If it will slice these three slabs it will have paid for its self.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Piker

I had exactly the same one for years and it did a far better job than the one I have now. It was completley worn out by the way. Piker+

Keymaster

Nice score and good lookin Bacon!!! I have never smoked belly bacon , does the skin come off easier after smoking or can you get it already skinned, which is better? This is probably a brisket fat side up/down/east/west question ;)

Sailor

I have never been lucky enough to get a belly with the skin off.  After the bacon gets to temp then bring it in and let it cool until you can handle it.  I use my boning knife and go in under the skin and pull the skin off.  I keep slicing under the skin and pulling almost like skinning out a deer.  Try to leave as much of the fat on the meat as you can.  Not a hard thing to do at all.

devo

The ones I have bought always had the skin off, why pay for something you don't need. But I am thinking when it's cooked it will be easier to take the skin off, not sure cause I never had to do it

Tenpoint5

Jim that slice will work perfectly for slicing bacon. I just take all of that sliding crap off and just use the running board. Until it gets close to the fingers. Oh yeah you need three hands to operate that beast!! Aint that right Piker!! ;D ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

iceman

Got one just like it Jim and it works just fine. SURE wish I could get pork bellies up here. Man you guys make me whimper with pictures like that.  :'(  ;D That is some real fine looking bacon my friend!!!

Sailor

10.5 and Iceman, Yep it worked perfect for slicing the bacon.  I did not get any photos of the slicing.  Was in a big hurry to get the brisket on after the bacon came off.  I am so happy I found this slicer and for $12 it is great.

CoreyMac

Thats the same slicer I use. Works pretty good, it could use a little more stroke, sometimes the plastic slider pops out on the backstroke if your piece is a little larger. You have to keep an eye on the thickness also, it sometimes moves a bit but for what they are worth these couple things are minor and you get used to them.

Corey