Allen Texas checking in

Started by TomW, October 17, 2011, 06:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomW

I'm Tom (A.K.A. Gramps) from North Texas (Baja Oklahoma).  I have a one day old Bradley digital, and cooked a whole turkey breast, with pretty miserable results.  I'm here to learn!
Tom
I may not know much about cooking, but I know lots about eating...

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum. Lots of help around here. All you got to do is ask.
Mike

Caneyscud

Welcome Gramps!  Lots of people make lots of great looking turkey in their Bradleys.  Its not something that I do a lot of - 1 in three years.  I'll let the guys who smoke lots of turkey chime in.  However, the use of a brine and/or injection can do a lot to improving turkey.  But try to get a "non-enhanced" turkey. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ghost9mm

Hello and welcome to the forum, questions, just ask, someone will help....

here is a link that will help you...

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=766#post766
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

DTAggie

Welcome Tom - McKinney, TX here

TomW

Quote from: DTAggie on October 17, 2011, 02:06:08 PM

Howdy.  Let me know when the cold weather hits...

Tom  '78

SiFumar

Welcome!  Tell us what you think you did wrong.....there are alot of members here that are pretty darn good with them turkey boulders!

TomW

Quote from: SiFumar on October 17, 2011, 05:06:04 PM
Welcome!  Tell us what you think you did wrong.....there are alot of members here that are pretty darn good with them turkey boulders!

Crust was really dry (burned).  Inside (about 1/4 inch was moist/tender/flakey).  Internal temp built consistently to 140, took 3 hours from 140 to 155.  Obviously needed basting/or something....perhaps would have been better to leave skin on??
Tom

SiFumar

Yes leave skin on!  It will protect the bird and keep it moist.  The skin gets rubbery after smoking, and you can crisp it up in oven if you plan to eat it.  If not, just peel off after you let it set.

SouthernSmoked

Welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Caneyscud

Quote from: TomW on October 17, 2011, 02:22:09 PM

Tom  '78

Just noticed that!  Lived in Law
Caneyscud '78 also

beefmann

lots of good folks and good advice,

for starters, 
1) season the smoker
2) run the vent 1/2 to full open at all times to let the  smoke circulate and moisture  escape
3) ask questions when you  want to make something  new and you  will have several  responses  to your question

enjoy  enjoy enjoy

TomW

Quote from: Caneyscud on October 20, 2011, 08:16:42 AM
Quote from: TomW on October 17, 2011, 02:22:09 PM

Tom  '78

Just noticed that!  Lived in Law
Caneyscud '78 also

I lived in Walton in 74 and half of 75... then a 20 foot travel trailer, with a BBQ pit...<grin>

Tom

Caneyscud

I'd drive out to Somerville if I wanted something grilled.  Grilled fish for breakfast is pretty darn good.  Or I'd use a hibachi I usually had at the dorm - it would get "borrowed" when I wasn't looking - but would always show back up.  Or if I wanted a giant grilled hamburger, I'd go to that place in a house behind the Campus theatre where they showed the groad flicks (Aggie Frolics) just down from the Chicken.

BTW, it was always easy to yell or throw something at Walton going back and forth from Sbisa and/or Northgate!  Hope nothing of yours got splattered!  If it did, I'm sorry! 

DTAggie

Quote from: Caneyscud on October 20, 2011, 02:08:56 PM
I'd drive out to Somerville if I wanted something grilled.  Grilled fish for breakfast is pretty darn good.  Or I'd use a hibachi I usually had at the dorm - it would get "borrowed" when I wasn't looking - but would always show back up.  Or if I wanted a giant grilled hamburger, I'd go to that place in a house behind the Campus theatre where they showed the groad flicks (Aggie Frolics) just down from the Chicken.

BTW, it was always easy to yell or throw something at Walton going back and forth from Sbisa and/or Northgate!  Hope nothing of yours got splattered!  If it did, I'm sorry!

Geez you old Ags!