First Time Muebe Nuggets

Started by zueth, October 21, 2011, 08:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

well after reading all about them on here, I figured I had to give them a try.  I started with just over 5 lbs of stew meat from Costco and tried to cut the pieces so that they were all similar in size.

I then broke the meat up in two gallon zip lock bags and poured soy vay all over the beef until they were covered.  Then I mixed 1/2 tsp of cure with about 1/8-1/4 cup of water and poured that over the meat and then added a tsp of cayenne.  I repeated this process for the over gallon zip lock bag.  Ended up with just over 2.5 lbs of beef in each bag.  Then I let it marinade overnight and in the morning I fired up the smoker for 150.  I applied 2 hours of hickory and then removed the water bowl and left in smoker fro another 6 hours at 150.  At the six hour mark I pulled them out and basted with more soy vay.  They turned out very good.  I only rotated the tray's once, when I do again I will rotate every two hours to promote more even cooking.  Also, I think next time I will use sirloin rather than stew meat.   I thought that the amount of cayenne gave it a nice kick, but definitely not over powering.

SiFumar

Looks like your on your way to some good snackin!

zueth

I sampled some more today and they actually turned out pretty chewy? What could of caused that? Cut of meat? Didn't  t cook long enough?

mikeradio

My batch turned out very chewy too, my jaw was sore after a couple. ;D

I did mine in my dehydrator, I think I did mine to low of temp 150 and for too long
(cant remember to total time, forgot to make notes)

Next time I am going to try about 170 and 8hrs like Muebe

Mike

muebe

In the OBS I start out at 150F and progress through the drying process to 170F at the finish. I do have a convection fan in mine BTW.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

zueth

Quote from: muebe on October 21, 2011, 04:32:29 PM
In the OBS I start out at 150F and progress through the drying process to 170F at the finish. I do have a convection fan in mine BTW.

I did mine at 150 the whole time, do you think that it would help to put them back in for 1-2 hours at 170?

zueth

Quote from: muebe on October 21, 2011, 04:32:29 PM

Were yours chewy?

FLBentRider

I do my nuggets in the dehydrator at 145-150F for about 8-12 hours.

Chewy, but not tough.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

muebe

Mine are a little chewy but by no means tough. Could just be a less quality meat was used. Costco is really good about their quality of meat but may have had a less than stellar batch when you purchased it. I have used lower quality meat(select) from a grocery store and it came out tough.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

FLBentRider

I use eye round from Sams Club.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

josbocc

I do my nuggets at 145, but in the Cabelas dehydrator.  Seems to me that it took about 9.5 hours to get them where they were not too chewy.  Sirloin works the best, but you gotta pay for it.  Gonna try some venison nuggets soon, will try to post results.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

zueth

Put the nuggets in the oven at 170 for another two hours and that helped