• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

country style pork ribs

Started by viper125, October 21, 2011, 10:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Just wondering. Could these be cut from a loin or pork butt? Not exactly sure. I thought they were mostly loin anyway.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

viper125

Well after some googling found my own answer and thought i'd share. This is from a professional butcher site and pretty informative i believe.

Country Style Spareribs
Country Style Spareribs were developed in the late 60's and early 70's by an enterprising butcher, meat cutter, teacher named Cliff Bowes from the Chicago (where else?) area. Markets had a hard time merchandising the Rib End of a pork loin....the chops looked terribly fatty and boney......and this cut would usually end up as a roast, ground up for sausage, and/or later being the bottom chops in a package of "Quarter Sliced Pork Loin". Cliff split the bones about an inch from the back bone and then split the meat into a tri-fold and scoring between the bones. Voilà! Country Style Ribs were born. It was a pretty impressive piece of meat in the display case. Later on, myself and other meat cutters, just split the rib end in two and cut into little 'chops' approx 1 1/4" thick. Now you couldn't keep them in the meat case at all and they became a rarity, except to a select few that would beg you to save "all you can get". The problem of having too many rib ends of pork was no longer a problem. In the mid to late 80's, to keep up withe demand for "Country Style Ribs", pork shoulder butts (Boston Butt) were split in two under neath the blade bone and cut into strips on the saw, some boneless some bone in. The ribs cut from the shoulder are 99% of the Country Style Ribs that you see today. They are by no means 'ribs', but a tasty cut for the grill. I brine mine and cook approx 275° for 2 1/2-3 hours and they come out perfect every time.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.