Whole Venison Hind Quarters

Started by josbocc, October 22, 2011, 04:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josbocc

Need some advice please,

Was given two whole (but small, 5.5 lbs each) venison hind quarters yesterday, as my hunting buddies know that I have a Bradley Smoker.  I overheard from the back of the garage..., "Instead of cutting these little buggers up into tiny steaks, why don't we just let Jos smoke 'em whole?"

As we were about 4 hours into cutting up the 4 deer we took at Blackpowder camp, (and we had consumed an appropriate amount of adult beverage), my reply was, "Sounds awesome!"  In retrospect, I guess I should have thought a little more about this idea, as I have no clue where to start.

I know venison is lean, and tends to dry out easily.  I also know that I need to take it to an IT of 165.  Beyond those two items, I have never cooked (nor smoked) a whole vension roast.  I'd appreciate any suggestions regarding rubs, injections, smoke flavors, and any other tips or techniques that the Masters of Smoking can offer!

Thanks,
Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

pensrock

first off I would bone it out so you have all meat. once boned out you can open it up and add garlic, sausage or whatever flavors you like to the inside, then roll it up and tie it. I have not done this before but that is how i would try it. you can also use one to make a ham. i'm sure others will chime in with ideas.

Keymaster

I'd grind them up and add 2 pounds of ground pork and make summer sausage out of them or snack sticks or Jerky ;)

josbocc

Keymaster,

The remaining venison went between steaks and burger (I think we have at least 125 lbs. of ground-stuff).  Snak-stix and summer sausage are always on the menu  8).  I like the idea of rolling, and perhaps I can talk the other guys into trying that.

Thanks for your input folks!
Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

pensrock

my BIL was at a party one time and whoever was there took a boneless hind quarter and put a piece of stainless tubing in the middle, the tubing had a bunch of holes drilled in it. then they tied it together and injected with garlic/butter. Then they deep fried the whole thing, like a turkey. he said it was some of the best venison he ever had. the reason for the tubing is to help get the inside cooked at the same time as the outside. I have always wanted to give this a try, bet it would be great.  :)

OU812

First thing I would do is remove all the blue skin and fat, the fat is what gives deer meat that "Gamey" taste

If its the whole rump theres gonna be a vein of fat close to the center were the muscles come together.

After ALL the fat has been removed add some garlic and or onions and some lemon pepper then roll that baby up and give it another rub down with lemon pepper then wrap with a bacon weave and smoke/cook.

Deer is done at an IT of 145 to 150 F, if ya go to 165 it will be way over cooked and very dry.

Tenpoint5

Ok since you have already destroyed the first hindquarter cooking it as a full roast. What is the top muscle group called if it is on a pig? That's right IT IS A HAM!! I would suggest curing it and smoking it just like you would a ham. After the ham is finished smoking and you slice it extremely thin it will taste just like salted dry chipped beef. Just throwing it out there. It went something like this, the brine recipe is towards the end of the post. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=15495.0

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

josbocc

Thanks for all of the input...,

Decisions - Decisions - Decisions

Since I've got three other people with vested interest in this endeavour, I'll have to put it up for a vote.  We have both hind quarters, so perhaps we can try the "ham" idea on one, and the deep-fried, tube up the rump idea on the other.

Not gonna be done for another month or so, but I'll post results.

Thanks Again,
Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

viper125

My father in law always done whole legs or animals. He has a plane and went every where hunting. We did a lot of deer and antelope by just slow cooking and basting in a mixture of, lots of garlic,olive oil,beer! We mixed it up in a gallon or two sprayer. And just keep basting it. Always great and people came from all over. So I'd probably make it up and marinate in it for 24 hours or so. Smoke on a low heat and baste with the left over occasionally.  But deer ham does sound good also.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

josbocc

Viper,

Can one go wrong with anything basted in beer?  I think not.  (Especially with the crew that I have that want to smoke these quarters).

I'll be giving that idea some serious thought.

Thanks,
Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

viper125

Well I don't drink it any more but I still cook with it. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Stickbowcrafter

I second the brine method. Have done several that way and always delicious.

-Brian