Xyla or Xylithol

Started by blackoctaupus, October 22, 2011, 12:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackoctaupus

I would like to know if you can use xyla or xylithol porduct instead of brown sugar for curing meat before smoking. The reason I'm asking is that I'm on a diet that don't allow me sugar but xyla or xylithol so I can't use my smoker. Would like to be able to smoke my meat it will add so much more flavor and taste.
Thank you for any help!

GusRobin

hmm - there are a lot of meats you can smoke without curing provided you are at cooking temps when you smoke. Or you can cold smoke steaks  among other things,].

What meat are you thinking of smoking?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

blackoctaupus

Well the thing is I cure my turkey or any other meat. I should read on how to smoke without curing, I didn't know you could do that. But if you don't cure does it keep as long.
Thank you that was a good thing to know.
As you can see it says newbie as member and their are right LOL!

GusRobin

No- with curing it lasts longer. But the stuff I smoke doesn't seem to last long  no matter how much I make.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Quarlow

I agree, everything evaporates before it goes bad here. The only thing I have cured so far is my CBB.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Just to clear up a few things. With the Bradley most of the smoking/cooking is done at barbecuing temperatures; 200°F and up, so curing is not needed. For poultry and fresh sausage you will want to smoke/cook at 225°F or higher.

Whether you are curing or brining for flavor, sugar is used to cut the sharp salt taste. You don't have to use it, but if you don't add a sweetener your end product will be much saltier.

I've never used xylitol, but if you can use it for cooking and baking, in most cases you should be able to use it for curing and brining. To be on the safe side, I would make up a very small batch as a test, just to make sure it does not produce an after taste that may effect the taste of the food. Let it rest in the refrigerator for 3 - 4 days, then taste it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)