• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cheap Gas

Started by ArnieM, October 27, 2011, 09:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Nothing to do with smoking but couldn't help a post.

Went to see my daughter and SIL yesterday, 40-45 miles away.  They use a grocery chain called Price Chopper.  None at my end of the state but Deb may know of them.

Anyway, they offer gas discounts for various purchases.  My SIL had a card that would expire soon.  He gave it to me to use.

I went to the participating Sunoco station.  Put in the gas card and then the charge card.  You wouldn't believe it.

I put in 13+ gallons of 91.  Total fill up price was 24 cents.  That's enough to make you fill up your water bowl! 

Someone must be making money somehow.  I dunno but I'm happy.  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

SiFumar

That is awesome!  Deals don't come often like that!

classicrockgriller

Geez! Reminds of the times I use to pay $.17 a gal for gas and you get a free gift

with the purchase of 8 gals or more.

That is SWEET!

SiFumar

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 27, 2011, 09:28:36 PM
Geez! Reminds of the times I use to pay $.17 a gal for gas and you get a free gift

That is SWEET!

Lol was just talking about that(.17 or .18cent a gal gas) today...usually was a glass and Blue Chip or Green Stamps!

3rensho

I remember those days too.  Pasting books of blue chip stamps.  Several guys would come out, wash all windows, check oil and water then check tire pressures. 
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

JZ

Wow that is sooooo cheap that it would almost pay for me to drive there and get some of that almost free gas.

Up here that stuff is $1.30 / litre (about $5.90 / gal) and beer is $48 for a 24 pack of Bud.  Can't afford to go anywhere and can't afford to stay home and drink.

Everything is cheaper down south ----  maybe I should come and visit for awhile.

ArnieM

JZ, you're welcome to come down and set a spell anytime you're on a road trip.  I got some ribs ...

The going price at my local station is $3.91 for mid grade.  No one washes or checks anything and no free toaster. 

I just wish I had my camera.  I was just in awe.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

I've been participating in that program for awhile. You earn 10¢ toward each gallon of gas, up to 20 gallons, for every $50 you spend in the store (beer and cigarettes excluded). Then they have promotions, in which you buy a certain amount of advertised products during one shopping trip and you can earn extra towards gas. It is not unusual to earn up to an extra dollar per gallon during one shopping trip. For awhile I was purchasing $50 Visa Gift cards in the store, then spending the gift cards in the store, so you almost get 20¢ for each $50 you spend. But I got tired of doing that because you had to keep track on how much was left on the card.

The amount you earn is good for 3 months since the time you made your purchase. The best part is that there is alway a Sunoco station near a Price Chopper. The best I have done was to earn $3.50/gal., and I only had to pay about 21¢/gallon. Once you decide to cash in your discount, whether you buy one gallon or 20 gallons, you loose the rest of your discount. So if you have a small tank that only holds 15 gallons, you should take a 5 gallon gas can with you. Currently I am back up to $1.80/gal; spending another $61 will get me up to $2.00.

The store prices are not the lowest, but they are competitive, and this promotion make up for it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

The Price Chopper here closed a few years ago but we do have Stop & Shop which does a similar promotion.  I think you get a point for ever dollar spent,  100 points is 10 cents/gallon  off.   We never get gas there unless we are almost empty.  We don't wait to accumulate the points so I think the best we have gotten is 40 cents off.

Wildcat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 27, 2011, 09:28:36 PM

That is SWEET!

Remember those days as well. Today the price can jump more than that in an hour.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

3rensho

You folks have it good!!  95 octane (lowest grade available here) is $ 7.68 a gallon.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Keymaster

All the safeways stores do that here, I usually save about 20 cents a gallon per fill up of Diesel. It helps a lot :)

mikecorn.1

I'm paying $3.15/gl for 87 octane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

beefmann

gotta love that  price

TMB

Man that's a deal!

I remember my late father saying "If gas goes to .50 cent a gal I'm walking!!"   LOL

Only walks he took were to the mail box  ;)
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!