Aloha from Hawaii

Started by Chuck55, October 29, 2011, 12:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck55

Hello all!
My name is Chuck and I live on the island of Oahu. At least for the next couple of years, till the Air Force sends me off to some frozen tundra to pay me back for all the sunshine I got here . ;D
Im originally from Dallas Texas and therefore I LOVE brisket!

I have been burning burgers for the last couple years on my weber charcoal grill and decided it was time to foray in to the world of smoking. I have enjoyed some pretty good whole chickens smoked on the weber and now Im ready to step up to the rest of the animal kingdom.

I just ordered a Bradley Digital Smoker off of amazon last night. We have one dealer here in HI but he wants almost double the online price. While I do try and support local industry as much as possible, I could not justify that price. The good news though is I can always get the wood locally(at a reasonable mark up).

SO... until my smoker arrives (likely 2-3 weeks) I need to round up the rest of my gear. I need a wireless thermometer for sure, any suggestions?

I have general BBQ'ing utensils, anything else I need?

Im going to now scour the forum for tips and recipes!

GusRobin

bubba pucks;  I bought a pair of heat resistant gloves and find them very useful; if in the budget a PID is a nice to have; you may want to add a second element;
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Quarlow

Welcome to the forum. You are in good company over there. Our Island connection is Ka Hona. That turtle can tell you where to get the best deals on anything smoker Hawaii.
As for a wireless thermo, most popular here are the Mavericks. The ET-73 I believe is the # and someone even came up with a mod for it too. You can find the full instructions on how to add a antenna to get awesome range out of it. It is good out of the box but we like to mod anything we can get our hands on. If you have any questions at all just ask and you will get an answer.
Oh and one thing you never want to do on this forum, and I mean never,never ever. That is to tell us what the weather is like over there or we will have to black ball ya.  ;D ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

GusRobin

if you go with the maverick, get the 732 model. It incorporates the mods that everyone was making.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Quarlow

Really. Man am I behind the times.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum. Remember to keep the vent open. You can get frog mats for the racks. Here's the link. I believe they are the 10x13.
http://www.yardandpool.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Frog+mats&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

beefmann

bubba pucks, maverick et 732, pid, storage shed and  storage for  pucks

SiFumar

Welcome!  Looks like everybody has got you covered on necessary gear!  Need a camera for all the pic you're going to post too!

Check these links out also for more info..it's our recipe and info site.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=766#post766

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?481-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=748#post748

Chuck55

Wow! Thanks for the welcome and all the FAST responses.
This is quite an active forum.

I will definately pick up the Maverick 732 and the Bubba Pucks right off the bat.
Once I get some use out of the smoker I will start looking in to the PID. For now it seems a little more advanced than my level of knowledge. Plus I got to save some money for the meat.  ;)

ghost9mm

Hello and welcome...I see you received a pretty good welcome...nice friendly place around here..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Ka Honu

Chuck - Where do you live?

Sharne

Hey there Chuck, from one newbie to another, this is an amazing site with a whole lot of amazing members who are only too happy to help you out in any way they can, I have learnt so much and I have only been on here a couple of weeks,

Chuck55

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 31, 2011, 11:00:47 AM
Chuck - Where do you live?

Ka Honu, I live over in Ewa Beach. I see your on the windward side. I would love to live over there but I work up at Kaena Point so my drive is already too far.

Just curious, where is a good source for briskets on Oahu? I have seen some really long ones at costco that look nothing like what we had back in Tejas.

I got an email this morning saying that my smoker shipped today.  ;D Cant wait for it to get here.

Keymaster

I used to live in kahala, I was a live in servant at a estate there. The estate was next to Tom sellicks house. I got certified in scuba diving at Aarons dive shop. My wife was born at Trippler hospital. I miss it there but I dont miss the cost of living. Aloha

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Ka Honu

Quote from: Chuck55 on November 02, 2011, 11:38:56 AM... source for briskets on Oahu?

I get mine (Choice packers) at the Kaneohe Commissary.  Don't know where I'd go without military access.

Quote from: Keymaster on November 02, 2011, 02:31:25 PM... Aarons dive shop.

... the cocaine hub of Oahu in its day.  Still open in Kailua - don't know about the "extra products" any more - I think Jack spends most of his time consulting on movies and TV these days