What is FTC ??

Started by hutchinaugusta, October 30, 2011, 05:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutchinaugusta

Really new at this but what does FTC mean, let cooked meat sit on counter? turn off heat and let sit???

Keymaster

wrap meat in FOIL, cover with a TOWEL, and put in COOLER. This is to finish cooking or to keep warm until dinner and to suck all its juices back up in beef. Ive FTC'd a pork butt and 4 hours later its still hot enough to burn yah.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mikecorn.1

Ditto, I like to wrap in two layers of heavy duty foil, then wrap with about three old towels that I only use for this and then stuff it in a cooler. I've had butts and ribs FTC for 5 hours and they are so hot when they come out that it will burn ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Wildcat

Quote from: hutchinaugusta on October 30, 2011, 05:09:25 AM
Really new at this but what does FTC mean, let cooked meat sit on counter? turn off heat and let sit???

FTC has been answered. IMHO unless you want to keep a butt hot for a long period, simply cover in foil and let it rest on the counter until it cools off a bit. With a brisket the FTC seems to work wonders, but a butt does not really need FTC.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

SoCalBill

What is the longest you have FTC?

I ask because I am doing a dinner party on the 20th and will be doing a butt and a brisket. The party is a 2PM. I just trying to think about timing of all of it.

FLBentRider

It depends on your cooler and how much you are putting into it.

When I put 4 butts in my cooler it is just about chock full. I have kept those four butts in "food safe" (above 140F) temps for 8 hours.

The less mass you put in the cooler, the faster it will cool down.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

For example when I have to FTC ribs (which have a much higher surface-to-mass ratio than a pork butt) I put a couple of foil-wrapped bricks in a 500F oven for about 20 minutes. Then I put a towel at the bottom of the cooler,(edit) then the bricks, then another towel, then the ribs, then more towels.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Quote from: FLBentRider on October 31, 2011, 03:07:09 PM
For example when I have to FTC ribs (which have a much higher surface-to-mass ratio than a pork butt) I put a couple of foil-wrapped bricks in a 500F oven for about 20 minutes. Then I put a towel at the bottom of the cooler, then another towel, then the ribs, then more towels.

Ya forgot to put the bricks in the cooler.  ;D

FLBentRider

Yup. I've got kids, you can tell where I was distracted... LOL

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!