• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Curing temp

Started by RFT, November 03, 2011, 09:09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFT

I am  curing a 6lb Boston butt using hi mountain buckboard bacon cure.  It says cure at 40 to 45 degrees but am having a helluva time keeping garage fridge at proper temp, it's been holding at 39 to 40. To get it any warmer i would have to turn the fridge is off.   Any suggestions?   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

squirtthecat

I always thought that 38° was the 'perfect' temp for curing.  That's what I use on back/belly bacon..

devo

You just don't want your meat to freeze or get past the 45* mark. Your in the ball park so I wouldn't worry to much.

OU812

38 to 40 deg is the ideal temp to cure meat,,,,,,,your good.

The colder it gets the slower the cure works and below 36 it stops workin.

RFT

Ok,  thanks guys.

N.P.

Habanero Smoker

A little late, but the closer to 40°F and not any higher is a safe curing range. I generally cure at 38°F. As mentioned the curing process for cure #1 (sodium nitrite) slows down as the temperature declines, because chemical reactions slow down at lower temperatures. The curing action will work down to 28°F, at which point meat freezes. As for cure #2 (which has some sodium nitrate), bacterial action is also required to break the nitrates down to nitrites, using this cure you do not want to go below 36°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RFT

More great info Hab.  Thanks!

N.P.