Help Please

Started by Murd0c, November 05, 2011, 11:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murd0c

I have a 4 rack digital and just put in a 10lb pork butt. Everything was working fine then all of a sudden my oven temp keeps on dropping I want it to be about 230F but right now it has dropped from 190 to 160 in 5mins and I'm not sure what to do at all.

I have a bunch of people coming over tonight so I'm starting to get a little worried  :-\

It's almost freezing here and it's sitting on the cement could that be the issue?

devo

Wild guess, element burnt out. Another wild guess check all your plugs to make sure they are all the way in.

Keymaster

If you open the smoker and look at your heating element it should be glowing brite red. If not check all your plug connections are tight.

Murd0c

yep all the cords are in thats the first thing I checked.  is this a common issue to happen 1 hr after turning it on?

and nope its now glowing red at all  :o

lumpy

I second the element problem.

Hey Devo
Did you pay any duty for your fan kit from Scotts place?
I will order on next week.

Lumpy

ArnieM

Get it into the oven (250-275) quick and sort out the heating problem on a better day.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

TedEbear

There were many case of defective heating elements earlier this year.  Bradley will replace it for free if it is still under warranty but I know that doesn't do you much good today.  If you've verified that the plugs are seated all the way in and you're not using a long extension cord to the smoker (the Bradley doesn't like them) then it is probably a bad element.

You might try finishing the butt in the oven, maybe wrap it in foil with a bit of apple juice for tenderness. 

Also, if you just put a 10 lb butt in the smoker this afternoon you're cutting it a bit close anyway with wanting it to be done for a meal this evening.  Those things normally take 1.5-2 hours per lb to slow cook.

Murd0c

I tossed it in originally at 9am so I should of had enough time. I grabbed my buddies OBS are the element the same? He's never used his before so I'm just thinking of swapping it out?

Keymaster

Yes all the elements are the same :)

mikecorn.1

As long as you got the smoke to it, don't sweat it. Put it in the house oven. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

devo

Glad you got another element from your buddy but i',m thinking with that 10lb pork butt and the problem you had today you better be planning on a late dinner. You might be better off finishing it off in the oven.

Murd0c

how long should I smoke it until I put it in the oven and for what temp for how long? I've honestly never done it that way before. It's actually 9lbs bone in. It has been in there for almost 2hrs and its sitting at a temp of 100f

Thanks for all the help guys I was ready to lose it eariler lol

ArnieM

Oh well, I gave you a PM offer to call me.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

muebe

Quote from: Murd0c on November 05, 2011, 02:47:10 PM
how long should I smoke it until I put it in the oven and for what temp for how long? I've honestly never done it that way before. It's actually 9lbs bone in. It has been in there for almost 2hrs and its sitting at a temp of 100f

Thanks for all the help guys I was ready to lose it eariler lol

Are you planning to pull it or slice it?

You will need to cook to a IT of 170F if you plan on slicing or 190F if you are going to pull it.

To speed things up I would set the oven temp to 260F and wrap the butt in foil. Your still going to be looking at a possible next day early morning dinner even with the clocks going back tonight if you plan on pulling it.

You might want to get Outback to go or your guests might not have a meal ::)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

GusRobin

yeah -even if everything was working good, an 8 butt takes me anywhere from 12 -20 hours depending on the but. If you started at 9;00 am at 225* you would be lucky if it was done by 9 -10
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.