It's Been a Smoking Day

Started by JZ, November 05, 2011, 09:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

Smoked some Cheese this morning together with some almonds, then smoked some Seemore stachios and almonds together and just finished the last batch of cheese. I was going to add some more nuts with the cheese but after the cold smoked nuts this morning I think I will stick with hot smoked nuts from now on.

The second batch of cheese was with Hickory and although the IT of the box read no more than 88*, the few times I looked at the smoker display, the cheese got real soft and started to melt. Unlike the cheese this morning that was solid. I also noticed that the cheese this evening seemed to be less ashy tasting. I am starting to notice a pattern here. With higher smoke temps the product does not have as much ash taste when it comes off the smoker.

Keymaster

Looks great!!!! Its kind of a standard that you Vac seal and refrigerate for a month before tasting. This way the smoke will be aborbed through out the cheese and the ashtray flavor will turn to a nice subtle smoke flavor.

kickedback

Yep, looking good. Would definitely seal it up and let it set for a month. I've got a little left from April and still tastes great. Gonna do some more soon. Need to stock up for winter.

JZ

Yup - 6 blocks all vac sealed, dated and hidden in the back of the fridge.

jiggerjams

Was the second batch exposed to room temperatures longer/more than the first batch?

JZ

I think it was - good point. Next time I will make sure it goes straight into the smoker.