Smoked venison pepperoni sticks

Started by viper125, November 06, 2011, 11:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Well got rid of more deer meat today. Made a small batch 5 lbs. just to test. Came out the best deer sticks me and the wife have ever ate. Plenty of flavor, nice grease level and some kick. Wife is eating up hope to have some to freeze. She usually won't eat snack sticks much or at all. So that's the biggest compliment I can get. Will make a huge batch now.
First this is a picture of the Enterprise stuffer my neighbor gave me.  Really a lot quicker and easier then the Kitchen Aid.Will post pics when I get the grinder and scale here.

So mixed and stuffed. ready for the smoker. Oh the wax paper. Took some extra and rolled between wax paper to make some G.B. Jerky or at least try.

Coming out of smoker.

Lots of extra grease

I always wipe off any extra fat.

Ready to go in fridge to cool then vaccume pack.

Thats a big bowl and this is 5 lbs of meat. And really great eating.

Now if you want to try here is what I did. I don't believe I got this recipe here  but if I did sorry for not mentioning your name. I believe it come from another or I made it up from other recipes. But either way here it is.

Smoked Venison Pepperoni

The first time I made a batch of smoked venison pepperoni my hunting buddies were so impressed that I decided to make the recipe a permanent part of my venison sausage making arsenal.
Pepperoni comes in many varieties and sizes, but I find that this smoked version seems to be at its best (for my tastes, at least) when I stuff it into 1 1/4 inch collagen casings.

Most of the red color in commercial pepperoni is produced by paprika, so that is what I use to give mine a familiar look.

The heat is generated by a combination of red and black pepper.

Recipe

4 lbs very well trimmed venison ground

1 lb ground pork fat

1 lb ground pork .

3 tablespoons kosher salt

2 tablespoons paprika

2 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon fine ground black pepper

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon crushed anise seed

1 teaspoon ground cumin seed

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup non-fat dry milk powder
1 teaspoon #1 cure (prague powder or Instacure)

1/4 cup ice water

Cut the venison and pork into cubes, then grind it through the medium plate of your sausage grinder.
Make a paste of the milk powder and ice water and mix it with the cure and all the spices in a small container.
Add the cure/dried milk/spice combination to the ground meat and mix it thoroughly, kneading it by hand until it is very well distributed.
Stuff the sausage immediately into casings (either collagen or natural sheep or pork), and refrigerate the links for 12-24 hours to let the flavors combine well.
After the aging, prepare your deer sausage pepperoni for the smoker, and smoke it until the internal temperature reaches 152 degrees F.

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Piker

Looks good. I see you use 1 lb. of pork fat and 1 LB. of ground pork fat. What is the difference I am assuming one is aready ground and one is not  so one is  like just ground pork? thks Piker

viper125

Quote from: Piker on November 06, 2011, 02:19:12 PM
Looks good. I see you use 1 lb. of pork fat and 1 LB. of ground pork fat. What is the difference I am assuming one is aready ground and one is not  so one is  like just ground pork? thks Piker

Sorry miss typed. Original called for 1 lb pork but trimmings. I added the 1 lb pork butt and 1 lb pork fat. Also it's all ground up with a medium plate. Originally It was for beef so I made adjustments to the recipe. My wife and friends all love it. Never seen 5 lbs of any meat disappear that quick. That's OK stuck a few in a baggy and hid it in the garage refrigerator. LOL Guess I'm making a larger batch this week.
Inside setup.

viper125

By the way guys the reason I rolled some of that out was I wanted to see the texture of the G.B. jerky I've been hearing about. Really better then I thought it would be and the wife can chew it too. Me I still Think it isn't Jerky ground. Iprefer the muscle meat and chewy. But I had to try. So now i'll probably make both.One for her and one for me.
Inside setup.

Keymaster

ghost9mm

Looks good partner, you just need to share... :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

viper125

Too late. Don't believe I had 5 lb sticks and 1 jerky and all that is left is maybe 3 sticks I hid. Lol guess I don't make so little they next time. Add this to tried and like list.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Inside setup.

saucedo25

I have the same bradely smoker, how long did it take you to smoke all that peperoni that you have pictured?  At what temp did you get your smoker too?  Thank you, those look awesome and I would really like to try out your reciepe.  Nice job bud.

Saber 4

Good looking sticks and I like the little stuffer it's got class.

viper125

Thanks guys. surprised I seen this thread restarted. yes that stuffer was great for small batches. mostly use my kirby cannon when I can. lots easier.
I really onto remember how long.  But as they say, its some when its done. I step temps up starting at 120 one hour then 140 one hour, then 160 an hour. then 170 till done to if not already. if you cook to high they fat out. then their great dog treats. I cook till 155 degrees inside. I usually only apply 2-4 hours of smoke depending what wood I use.
Inside setup.

AK_Smoker

Great timing on this post.  I have 10 lbs of ground moose and pork in the fridge that I was trying to decide on what to make tomorrow.  You made the decision easy.  I will let you know how it turns out.

AK_Smoker

Last of the 1.5" pepperoni sticks are done at 12:01.  Very happy with the results.

viper125

Those look really great. I only had one problem if i remember right with them. Seemed like i couldn't keep them around long. ;) Wife even enjoyed them and she's not a meat eater. Nice Job now you got me thinking again. Got a some venison and pork i need to unthaw. But every time i get ready my health causes problems. But going to try again.
Inside setup.

beefmann

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!