Meube Nugget Question

Started by kickedback, November 09, 2011, 04:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickedback

I have 5lbs of stew meat, Morton's Tender Quick and Soy Vay, just wondering what exactly the recipe calls for and how much TQ per pound for whole muscle meat? Is it the same as for ground meat and do I have to mix with water? I've done all my jerky with pre-packaged cure mixes and want to try making my own instead.  Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Sailor

From what I understand.  If you are using the tender cure you will use 7.5 tsp per 5 pounds instead of the 1 tsp per 5 pounds of cure #1 (pink salt)  Habs has a posting that outlines the types of cures that should help you.  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?736-Curing-Salts 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

TomW

I use Pink Salt, so I cannot help on the Mortons.  Last night I poured the Soy Vay into the bag with the meat.  Then I took the cayenne, and cure and poured the powder into the empty Soy Vay bottle, then added about 1/4 cup of hot water.  Replace the lid and shake.  Then pour on the meet/soy vay in the bag.  That way I got all the good stuff from the Soy Vay bottle.

Tom
I may not know much about cooking, but I know lots about eating...

muebe

I have never use MTQ for the nuggets. Not sure how they will turn out. You can try and see how they taste ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

kickedback

Thanks guys, I looked at HabS ratios and wasn't sure if it was the same because it said for ground meat and some of the cure mixes I've used in the past had different ratios and Morton's has a different ratio on their bag. I looked at High Mountain 's and the cure was the same for both types of meat, but the seasoning ratio was different. I went with HabS' ratio. I'm sure it will be fine. If you don't hear back from me, it went real bad.