• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Sausage Website

Started by Len_poli, November 10, 2011, 12:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

According to Wikipedia  :)  Iodised salt is table salt mixed with a minute amount of various iodine-containing salts. The ingestion of iodide prevents iodine deficiency. Worldwide, iodine deficiency affects about two billion people and is the leading preventable cause of mental retardation.[1] It also causes thyroid gland problems, including endemic goitre. In many countries, iodine deficiency is a major public health problem that can be cheaply addressed by iodisation of salt.

Sailor

Quote from: viper125 on November 16, 2011, 01:35:53 PM
You know, I've never used iodized salt in my meats only for the table. But I really don't know why? I know the other salts are different sizes which helps with different flavors and such. But what does the iodine do?
It gives your sausage a strange taste.  I use table salt once and will never use it again.  :o

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

squirtthecat

I've found that it leaves a slight metallic taste when used in rubs..

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 16, 2011, 03:27:01 PM

I've found that it leaves a slight metallic taste when used in rubs..

Gives the same "metallic" taste with sausage and jerky also.

viper125

ok well i knew what the iodine was used for but didn't realize it would impart a taste. I just remember pap saying don't ever use it in meat! really when Pap said something he was usually right. I didn't ask so many questions back then,,,,wish I had. He smoked because it was a way to keep his meat. Not for a hobby. No refrigeration or any thing. But still some of my best memories!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.