Cabbage Kimchi

Started by Habanero Smoker, November 12, 2011, 01:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

3resno,
As I was looking for my recipes, I got curious about yours. I'm always looking to add to my kimchi recipes. Now that it seems I have lost two of mine.  :)

Sorry for the delay. After finding the recipe, I realize there were several steps that were not written that I knew what to do but others wouldn't. So I tried to explain those steps as best as I could. If you have any questions, just ask.

Cabbage Kimchi

Ingredients
2 pounds Napa cabbage (approximately 2 heads)
1 cup coarse sea salt or coarse kosher salt
1/2 cup diced Daikon radish; cut into match sticks 2-inches long, (jicama can be substituted)
8 scallions, cut green ends in 2 inch pieces, and thinly sliced white ends on bias
*3/4 cup coarse ground gochugaru (Korean chili flakes); or substitute
  • 2 - 4 tablespoon coarse ground (small flakes) dried chili pepper seeds removed
1/4 cup fine ground gochugaru (Korean chili powder); or substitute

• 1/2 tablespoon finely ground chili powder
* Gochugaru is fairly mild. I could not find gochugaru, until recently, and to date have never used it. You will see references that you can substitute cayenne, but that is much hotter. A Korean told me that Anaheim has about the same amount of heat but not the flavor. I like to substitute Serrano chili, keep in mind I like it hot. I start with about 2 tablespoons of flakes (crushed red pepper could be used), and 3/4 teaspoon of powder. After a day of fermenting, I will taste and adjust the chili. Substituting other chili for gochugaru, your kimchi will not be as red. If you want more red color you can add some sweet paprika.

Seasoning paste:
1 1/2 cup water
8 large cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
2 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
1/4 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
1/4 cup fish sauce (or 1 tablespoon anchovy paste, if you want to keep it vegan use1/4 cup Japanese Soy Sauce)
2 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Optional Other Ingredients:
1/2 cup Shredded carrots
Sesame seeds (I have never added them)

Remove and discard damaged outer layers of cabbage; wash in cold water. Cut in half lengthwise, and remove the core. Slice each half widthwise into 1 to 2-inch thick pieces; I prefer 2-inch thickness. Layer cabbage in a large mixing bowl, or stainless steel pot (18/10 stainless steel); after each layer sprinkle with salt, make sure you have salt left to sprinkle on the top, and use all the salt.

Let rest for 45 minutes, then stir and let rest for another 45 minutes. The cabbage should look wilted. Place cabbage in a clean kitchen sink, cover with cold water, and rinse by swishing the cabbage around. Drain, shake off cabbage, refill the sink with cold water and rinse a second time. Drain well; I usually place the cabbage in a salad spinner. Return cabbage to large bowl or pot.

For seasoning paste, pour water into a food processor; add garlic, ginger, onion fish sauce, salt and sugar. Process until you have a smooth puree. Pour this mixture over the cabbage. Add radish, scallions, and chili and with gloved hands mix until cabbage is evenly coated. You can either ferment in the bowl or pot, or pack into 1-quart canning jars. I like to ferment in the bowl or pot, that way I can adjust my chili flakes and powder.

While mixture is in a bowl or pot, use a potato masher and lightly pound down on the kimchi. This is to expel any trapped air, and to release some juices. If the cabbage comes into contact with air, mold will form. After expelling the air put sheets of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the kimchi, making sure the plastic also seals the sides of the container. Make sure there is no trapped air under the plastic. As the kimchi ferments the plastic may rise a little; this is no concern. The gas that is making the plastic rise is carbon dioxide, and bacteria will not grow in that environment. The plastic covering also keep insects out. Allow to ferment at room temperature (68°F), for 2 – 3 days; depending on how tangy you like it. You should start to see bubbles on the surface. If your room temperature is much higher, then you may want to ferment a shorter time.
  • You can also expel the air be adding enough water to cover the cabbage and gently stirring the mixture, but that thins out the flavor.
If you do a taste test, after a day to adjust the chili, and remix the ingredients, you will need to again tightly pack the kimchi to expel trapped air.

After the initial fermentation, pack the kimchi in 1-quart canning jars. Again you must tightly pack kimchi to expel all trapped air. I use a muddler to pack with while filling the jars, it works really well. Pack-fill until kimchi is about 2-inches from the top. Again put a sheet of plastic directly on the surface of the kimchi, and *loosely screw on the lid. Place in the refrigerator, and it is best to use within 6 months. Save some of the juice from your last jar to jump start your next batch of kimchi.

*Once refrigerated the fermentation will continue, though at a much slower rate. The original recipe states to tightly seal, but in the past this has caused too much pressure on the lid making it hard to twist off, and I have some concern of the jars exploding. If your refrigerator begins to smell like kimchi, then tightly seal, but for the first 6 – 7 days, I would loosen the lids each day to let any gas escape, then retighten the lids.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

seemore

Thanks Habs sounds good
seemore

3rensho

Sorry for being tardy.  Will get mine posted tomorrow.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: 3rensho on November 13, 2011, 08:31:26 AM
Sorry for being tardy.  Will get mine posted tomorrow.

Thanks. No rush. I haven't made any kimshi in the past year, but now I have a craving for it. I spent 13 month in Korea, and love the kimchi; but the batches that are fermented over the winter months can be brutal.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)