Question bout cold smoking some turkey

Started by SL2010, November 13, 2011, 05:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SL2010

I have a yoder with a smoke daddy attached to it i want cold smoke some big birds 20 pounders or so but due to time restrictions with my work i was wondering if i could cold smoke the bird the Monday  before then start cooking it in the house oven the day of thanksgiving i brined one bird last year and cooked it in the Bradley and it was awesome so i will brine this one also or will that not be necessary since i want to cook it in the house oven any ideas will be greatly appreciated thank you to all

beefmann

i usually smoke then cook all at the  same time, never smoked on one day then  cooked later, others should chime in on this

zueth

I have always been told that you don't want to cold smoke Poultry, I think there are to many opportunities for bacteria

Habanero Smoker

Does your brine include cure #1, and if so how much cure and how much liquid is in the brine?

If there is no cure, I would do as beefman suggested, smoke and then immediately begin to cook it. It should be safe to cold smoke it up to three hours, during the time you would usually allow the turkey to sit at room temperature. When cold smoking I would not let the smoker get above 70°F. Again, I would only do this if I am immediately transferring the turkey to a preheated oven or fryer.

Also if you are not using a cure, and the turkey has been injected (enhanced) by the manufacturer; brining is not necessary.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SL2010

No there will be no cure in the brine thanks for the advice i will just hope to get back in early enough to get it to get it cooked in time for dinner next Thursday thanks again

Ka Honu

The best way I've found is to brine, smoke for 2 hours (maybe 2.5-3 if you want it smokier) at about 250o, and finish in oven or TBE/SRG.  Once I've started cooking/smoking, I continue until it's done. If I were going to cold smoke, I'd do the same as Habs - brine overnight, then dry and smoke up to 2.5 hours before immediately roasting in oven, grill, or TBE/SRG. 

viper125

Wondering about the cure part. Ive been trying to research what is in the turkeys already brined. All the say is 6-8 percent and its supose to be turkey broth,sugar and salt. No other cures. So why not brine one? I have been told that a chicken or turkey will not take on more salt then the brine percentage. So wouldn't see why saltiness would get to much higher?
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Quarlow

I saw no mention of a "Big Easy" but if you were to go get one so you had the best cooked turkey you ever had, you better get the "SRG" as the "BE" wont cook a 20lb'er. Trust me. I barely got a nineteen lb'er in my "BE".
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

La Quinta

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: viper125 on November 18, 2011, 09:21:40 PM
Wondering about the cure part. Ive been trying to research what is in the turkeys already brined. All the say is 6-8 percent and its supose to be turkey broth,sugar and salt. No other cures. So why not brine one? I have been told that a chicken or turkey will not take on more salt then the brine percentage. So wouldn't see why saltiness would get to much higher?

I didn't say the saltiness would get higher, though it could or you may lower it; if the brining time is long enough. But the brining times used by most, I don't feel it would make a significant difference, if you are already working with an enhanced turkey. Having said that, many people do brine enhanced turkeys and chickens, and say they have good success. So you can brine, maybe it will make a difference, but I don't believe you will make it saltier, unless you brine is overly salty.

The example you gave indicates that the turkey was injected with a solution to the amount of 6 - 8% the green weight of the turkey. From that you cannot determine what is the salinity of the brine. Though it does seem high with both turkey broth (contains salt), and additional salt, more often you will see sodium phosphate used instead of salt.

The reason I say that brining is not necessary for enhanced turkeys, or even kosher turkeys that are dry brined, is because brining and curing works by osmosis; the movement of a solution of a higher concentrate (salinity) through the cell walls towards a solution of a lower concentrate (salinity). This will continue until the solution on both areas are balanced. So if you place the turkey in a solution with the same salinity, as it was injected with there would be no osmosis. If placed it in a brine with higher salinity, then you may make the turkey saltier. If you place it in a brine with lower salinity, you may get reverse osmosis. As mentioned, I feel this would take a much longer time then what most people are are brining, so you may not see any change.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

I have read that if you brine a frozen (juiced up turkey injected with solution) makes the meat "spongy" no matter wet or dry brine...spongy turkey does not sound tasty to me...I just go old school...defrost...de guts...stuff..rub with butter...S&P maybe some granulated onion...stick that puppy in the oven...I know you all probably smoke...not me...sorry...I love it traditional...family smelling the turkey in the house...

Quarlow

I am with you La Quinta on the traditional, but I smoked a turkey and finished it in the "BE" for my brother and it was awesome. So know for holidays it is traditional and between holidays I throw one in the smoker for sandwiches and just eating for lunches.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

La Quinta

Q? don't know what it's like in Canada...but turkey is pricey other than at Thanksgiving here...same with brisket at St. Paddy's day...odd...I would think that whole supply and demand would dictate the price...anyhoo

I am really looking forward to the big feast!!! yummy...

Ka Honu

Quote from: La Quinta on November 20, 2011, 11:49:02 PM... pricey other than at Thanksgiving here...

Same here.  Usually over $1.30 per pound, but this week only about 30¢.  I got my supply for the year (6 in the freezer, 1 thawing in the fridge).

La Quinta

I am trying a dry brine this year for the first time...started last night...schmush the salt and spices around every night...turn it over on the breast side tonight...take it out of the oven bag Wednesday night...rinse...and let it dry in the fridge on a rack until Thursday morning...supposed to be as good as wet brine except with a frozen thawed turkey...had to buy it way last week to defrost and de giblet...I am interested to taste this...