Reserve Marinade

Started by MrJim, December 27, 2005, 05:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrJim

Question: Many recipes call to reserve marinade after using and use it for basting or sauce. Isn't this a bad practice due to contact with raw meat?[?]

Jim
"It is what it is"

IKnowWood

I have done that, however the directions to many recipes call for the marinade to be boiled with water or other ingredients and simmers for a short while.  I do not know the actual times, I am sure the very knowledgable folks here know the exact tmes and conditions that this is safe.

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Habanero Smoker

As long as the reserve marinade was handled properly and refridgerated after the meat has been removed. To my knowledge it is alright to baste with reserve marinade, as long as you do not baste for the last 30 minutes of cooking time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

H.S. is sort of on track about the last 30 minute deal. What is recomended and the easiest is to pour some of the marinade in a seperate container"PRIOR" to marinading your meat thus removing the chance of cross contamination. If that's not possible or you just plain forget then you should pour it in a sauce pan and simmer over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes then use it. NEVER put a contaminated container back in the frige that contain ready to eat foods. If you follow this you can baste right up to finishing time if you want. Hope this helps a little.

Big or small you can smoke'm all!!!

Habanero Smoker

All the above methods are safe. Anyone of the methods can be used depending on the situation you find yourself in. The key is proper handling from beginning to end.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Ditto H.S. Just keep it clean.

Kummok

As with smoked salmon (see other threads[;)]), I'm probably NOT the one to speak on issues relating to food safety.....however, I use the leftover marinate EVERY time I grill meats. The critical word here is GRILL. I pull the meat out of the marinate and put it on the grill, pouring the sauce over the meat during the grilling process, rarely over 10-12 minutes for flying or four-footed meats and 6-7 minutes for finned meats.  I figure that the meat just came outta the juice, soooooo.....Been doing that for many years and haven't....er.....ah.....ug.....gaaaa[xx(]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

iceman

Grill. Yep critical word there. High heat equals safe food. Only takes a minute or two to kill the bad stuff over high heat on a grill like you mentioned. As long as you don't go poking the meat your good to go.[;)]

whitetailfan

I...like Kummok...have used my steak marinade to baste while grilling for years.  However, after finally reading the package, it specifically states, not to use marinade that the meat was soaking in.

If you remember, and have enough for both, I recommend placing aside a small amount before the meat hits it.  Why risk if you dont have to?

In smoke and spice, it almost always tells you to pull off some marinade prior to soaking meat if you want to use some for mopping.

My 2 cents.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

I will only use my beef marinade for mopping when grilling, as far as pork and fish nope down the drain it goes.

MrJim

<b></b><font size="6"></font id="size6"><font color="green"></font id="green"> Once again a big thank you to the wonderful response.[^]

Jim

" We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."