Snack sticks stall time?

Started by smokingron, November 13, 2011, 11:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokingron

This is my first time making snack sticks I whipped up a 5lbs batch using Hi Mountain original blend kit.  I started smoking bout 10:15 this morning and I checked my meat thermometer an hour ago(1:15) and my internal temp was at 124 and now @ 2:15  the internal temp is still at 124 I started smoking at 130 degrees and have increased the temp 10 degrees every hour n a half since currently i'm at 150 degrees is this normal for snack sticks to stall for a period of time?  Thanks in advance I will post my outcome once they are done.  also has anyone ever used the hi mountain for snack sticks?  I use their kits for jerky and love it.

Sailor

You are doing fine.  The dreaded stall will start in the 120-130 area.  Different batches have different stall temps.  Never know what temp it will stall but stall it will.  Some stalls last for a long time.  My last batch I had a stall of 3 hrs before it stated to climb again.   NEPAS has said you can open the door and shut it and it will help bring the meat out of a stall but I am not sure if it does or not.  Just be patient and the temp will climb again when the meat is ready. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

smokingron

***UPDATE***  ok so now its 645pm and the snack sticks have been in the smoker for 8 1/2 hours and the iternal temp is now 134 how long does this stall last just curious is there anything I can do to speed this process up so I can get them done. lol

Tenpoint5

Patience Grasshopper Patience!! It will come along when it is damn good and ready
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: smokingron on November 13, 2011, 03:42:28 PM
***UPDATE***  ok so now its 645pm and the snack sticks have been in the smoker for 8 1/2 hours and the iternal temp is now 134 how long does this stall last just curious is there anything I can do to speed this process up so I can get them done. lol

Bump your temp to 165, Open the door (for about 5 seconds) and shock the sticks then close. Try not to exceed 170, if you must go to 175 but no higher or your going to fat-out the meat.

smokingron

LOL  thanks guys I just dont remember my summer sausage taking this long but that was also 4 years ago all i gotta say is the smell has got my stomach rumbling they smell delicious

Keymaster

Stick your probe in another stick and if you have another thermometer try that one. Turn your Bradley up to 170° F and you should be fine. I have even turned up to 175 in sleepy times ;)

Sailor

The guys have you covered on what to do.  Might as well just pull out another beer and wait  ;D

smokingron

thats not a bad idea i gonna go grab me one while i'm waiting n reading on here.... Nothing but helpful info on here loving it

Stickbowcrafter

Never easy dealing with the stall....unless you have an adult beverage handy.

-Brian

smokingron

Finally they are done 153 degrees lol and all I have to say is Well Worth the Wait they taste amazing thanks to everyone who gave input it is much appreciated would post a pic but dont know how maybe someone can educate me on that next

smokingron

This was the final product and they are delicious

ghost9mm

Well it looks like they turned out real well...nice...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Sailor

Nuttin wrong wif dem stixs  ;D  They takes some time but so well worth the wait.  Great job!