Smoking Peppers

Started by mez, November 16, 2011, 11:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mez

I smoked them about 2 1/2 hrs with Alder then put them in the dehydrator for 20 hrs .I ground them in cheap coffee grinder from wallyworld I picked up.I was impressed with how well it ground them.I mixed all the peppers together except for the cherry bombs they seemed to be way hotter than the rest so I kept them separate for when a lot of heat is needed.The alder seemed to give them a nice sweet smokey flavor before the heat hits a nice combo.

mez

Quote from: Tater on November 26, 2011, 04:39:04 PM
OOh, OOH, may I cut in here?  I'm thinking he used an old coffee grinder.  This is how my powders look and that's what I use.  You have to be careful though.  The first time I did this I was grinding smoked red savinas and drove my wife out of the house.  I've been banished outside for pepper grinding ever since.  I do want to know what Mez used though.  This was a perfect job of grinding!

Tim
I've been banned to the garage since my Cayenne's in the food processor episode last summer.The wife didn't think making the kitchen smell like pepper spray was very funny.

La Quinta

I don't drink coffee...however I grabbed the wrong grinder (seriously the wrong one BY ACCIDENT) and ground some cloves...oy...did I get an earful the next morning...

I didn't do it on purpose...at least I don't think I did!!! :)

Tater

La Quinta,
I got a surprise one day when I grabbed my prepper grinder to grind some coffee.  The result was actually quite pleasant and now I do it on purpose frequently.

REPO

I want to try and do some of these this week. The question I have is if it is ok to use the dehydrator in the house? Or does it produce strong fumes?

Thanks!

braveheart

Yes folks I would be interested in knowing how these peppers were ground. I find if I have anything with moisture my coffee grinder gets gummed up. You always pick up real gems on this forum - thanks and happy new year.
My new years revolutions is to perfect smoking sea salt for next xmas - anybody else got some smoking new ideas for 2012?
Kevin
f you can't smoke it, shoot it!

Quarlow

I would say that with 20 hrs in a dehydrator there was likely nothing moist in those peppers.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

pensrock

QuoteThe question I have is if it is ok to use the dehydrator in the house?
You can but it will be putting off a lot of pepper smell. It doesn't bother me but may be too strong for others. I do mine on the covered deck out back which is where I grind them as well.

NDpeppers

Quote from: mez on November 26, 2011, 12:53:02 PM
Finally ground my peppers

Now THAT'S why I'm here!  I grow a TON of hot peppers every year - dry them and crush them into powder.  My neighbor suggested I try smoking some, then dehydrating and powdering and the results were AWESOME!!  I did Hickory smoked Jalapeno and a couple other varieties of smaller, hotter peppers and everyone who tried them couldn't get enough!

NDpeppers

Quote from: mez on November 26, 2011, 04:59:00 PM
Quote from: Tater on November 26, 2011, 04:39:04 PM
OOh, OOH, may I cut in here?  I'm thinking he used an old coffee grinder.  This is how my powders look and that's what I use.  You have to be careful though.  The first time I did this I was grinding smoked red savinas and drove my wife out of the house.  I've been banished outside for pepper grinding ever since.  I do want to know what Mez used though.  This was a perfect job of grinding!

Tim
I've been banned to the garage since my Cayenne's in the food processor episode last summer.The wife didn't think making the kitchen smell like pepper spray was very funny.

ohh...your eyes water...your nose runs...you sneeze...it IS pretty rough!  I have to wear a respirator mask when I'm working with them or I'm just miserable for hours but the results are worth it!   If they saw me, my neighbors probably thought I was making bombs in my kitchen but fortunately they know my and I bring them samples of my work and they love it!  Fresh ground hot peppers RULE!

Habanero Smoker

Those look great.

How did you grind them. When I use a blade grinder I can't get my dried peppers that fine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DisplacedCoonass

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 26, 2012, 02:21:07 AM
Those look great.

How did you grind them. When I use a blade grinder I can't get my dried peppers that fine.

My wife's Magic Bullet with the 4-blade top gets them down that fine but that's the only thing I own with a blade that does.

pensrock

I use a $10 coffee grinder and it has ground the peppers as fine as I want for years.

mez

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 26, 2012, 02:21:07 AM
Those look great.

It's just a cheap coffee/spice grinder from Wally World.Works great.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks. Maybe I'm not grinding long enough.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)