meat thermometers

Started by smoken smokey, November 17, 2011, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoken smokey

Smoken Smoker here. I am looking for a good meat thermometer and I figured all you guys would save me all the research. I understand one with a probe is probably the best way to go.
I have the BDS four rack. I would appreciate any advise.  Thanks S/S

muebe

Maverick ET-732 and Thermoworks Thermopen for a instant read ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

TedEbear

I also highly recommend the Maverick ET-732.  All of the other wireless meat thermometers I've owned lose the signal if I'm more than about 25 ft away and there's a wall in the way. My ET-732 keeps on going anywhere in the house and then some.  The specifications say it will transmit up to 300 ft away.  All I know is that it works great.

I have the Maverick hi/low alerts set to warn me if the temp goes above 250*F (fire in the smoker) or drops below 150*F (heating element failure).  A nice feature when I'm doing an overnight pork butt smoke.  I just put the receiver on my nightstand.

ArnieM

I have the old Mav ET-73.  It works well after squirtthecat told me to put quality batteries in the transmitter and receiver.  No range problems anywhere in the house.  Of course, if I were buying now I'd get the 732.

The Thermoworks pen and remote IR thermometers are great.  The latter is especially good for grill/griddle/pan temps.

My old faithful wired probe

has been on the same batteries for over three years.  I use it for  indoor cooking.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

beefmann

maverick et 732, order an extra meat probe, seal the end of the probe where the wire goes in with high temp silicone  and you  can not go wrong