Some???

Started by SamuelG, November 18, 2011, 01:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelG

Ok so I would like to make a ham and some bacon.  I would like to use one of these or both if possible to see the difference.  I usually use cure#1, but don't want to let these go bad.

Is is recommended?  I plan to do a wet cure. Any suggestions?

Gracias

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

ArnieM

Just go with the package instructions and see what you get.  You might want to inject the ham though.  Let us know what happens.

Por Nada
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

Speed Cure is a brand name for Cure #1, so that is what the bottom package is.

As Arnie stated, follow the directions on the Maple Cure package. It gives directions for both wet and dry cure. With large cuts of meat you do want to inject. Weigh your ham and inject with 10% of the green weight. I often use Suasage Maker's Maple Ham cure to wet cure, and the hams turns out great. It will work just as well for bacon, but you don't have to inject.

For example if the green weight of the ham after trimming is 15 pounds. Move the decimal over one to the left. That will give you 1.5 pounds, or 24 ounces. Measure out 24 ounces, or you can weight out 24 ounce (either measurement will be close enough), and inject this into the ham.

If you look at either of the cure ham recipes on the recipe site you will see instructions on how to inject a ham. I have to rewrite some of it. The area where it states to inject in a pattern of 2-inches apart, that should be based on the length of the needle. So if your needle is 4-inches long you would inject in a 4-inch pattern.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SamuelG

Thanks ArmieM and Habs.

I just started my ham with the maple cure.

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG