• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Door seal gap

Started by jakev, November 18, 2011, 10:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakev

I just got an obs the other day and seasoned it tonight. I noticed there was smoke coming out from around the door. I looked at it and there is a gap in the door seal in the top right corner and it runs about an inch or two on each side of the corner. Anyone else have this problem, or does anyone know if there is a way to fix it? I tried to kinda pull it out a little, but there is still a small gap. I'm smoking 2 butts in the morning and hoping i can figure something out so I'm not losing too much heat.
Thanks

Jake
Jake

Quarlow

Jakev, just pull a bit more and see if it comes out. If that doesn't work I had this problem with my upright freezer. What I did was pull it out and stick a bit of paper towel in underneath it. I don't know if it will work for the bradley, or you could.......Oo Oo I just remembered mine was like that to. The heat from smoking should limber it up and then it will seal, or you could lightly steam it perhaps.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

jakev

Thanks Quarlow. I will pre heat it for a bit before I put the butts in and see if I can get the gap closed.
I'm just hoping i can get the heat up and keep it up. It's only supposed to be about 35 f tomorrow, but I plan on keeping it in my garage.

How long should I plan on these butts taking? They are both about 7 1/2 pounds.
Jake

jakev

I turned my obs on this morning and let it heat up while I went inside and missed getting the butts ready. I went back out about 15 minutes later to check on the door seal. It was pretty soft and I could get it to seal the gap, but as soon as I let go of it, there was still a small gap. I don't know how much this will affect the heat.
I did put a slightly larger water pan and 2 bricks in it, so hopefully that helps.
Jake

viper125

Maybe close the vent a little to make up for heat loss?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

jakev

I've got the vent about half way open. Is that too much?
Jake

ArnieM

How long should I plan on these butts taking? They are both about 7 1/2 pounds.

I'd figure on at least 12 hours, probably more.

Keep your vent AT LEAST half open.  Mine is stuck full open.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

jakev

I'm about 2 hours into the smoke. After putting the butts in the temperature dropped to about 150. Now it's at about 200. I'm hoping to get it to about 220.

I'm planning on smoking for about 4 hours then leaving them in for about another 8. If they aren't done can I put them in a electric roaster to finish them? Will that make much of a difference?
Jake

devo

After you have finished the smoking part you can finish in the oven if you wish. I will for sure speed things up. Some people don't like the extra smell of smoke in their house when doing in the oven though.

jakev

Thanks devo!
Is there any benefit to keeping it in the smoker to cook longer verses taking it out after the 4 hour smoke and put it in the oven or electric roaster?

Also, we're not planning on eating it until noon tomorrow. My daughter is getting baptized tomorrow and we are having a bunch of family over after church to eat. So i wanted to make sure it's done and not have to mess with it much tomorrow. Should I shred it tonight and just put it in the roaster to warm it up tomorrow?
Jake

ArnieM

Most prefer to cook the entire time in the smoker.  Maybe it's just the smell that's still in there.

If you're going to move them to a roaster or oven, keep the temp down to about 250.  Like yeast bread, they can't be rushed.

I prefer to do them a day or two ahead to make sure they're 'done'.  Then, pull, mix in the chopped up bark and into the fridge.  The smoke taste mixes in better than right out of the cooker.  Reheat in a crock pot with some apple juice.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

You can do that or put it in a slowcooker and then an hour or two ahead turn it on and it will be ready. No muss no fuss, just set a pair of tongs beside it with the buns or bread and then grab it straight out of the slowcooker.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Definately better the next day 100%.

OBS
BBQ

jakev

Thanks arnie!
How much apple juice? Just enough to keep it moist?
Sorry for all the questions. Still fairly new to smoking, but so far everything I've smoked has turned pretty tasty!
Jake

Sailor

What Arnie said.  Personally I want do the entire cook in the smoker unless I have an emergency and need to finish in the oven.  Low and slow is the name of the game.  It is around 11:30 Central time and if you have them on for 2 to 3 hrs you have time to finish them in the smoker unless you are an early bird to bedtime  ;D  I would also recommend that you FTC them for at least 1 to 2 hrs prior to pulling.  This lets those juices to redistribute into the meat.  Those Butts will be the hit of the party. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.