Thanksgiving day experiment

Started by oldshep, November 19, 2011, 10:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldshep

I've had my smoker for 6 months but have never done a turkey breast so I'm looking for a little advice. I have 2 turkey breasts about 6 pounds apiece I want to smoke along with a spiral ham but not sure how long to smoke them, any advice? I am looking to put the temp around 230 but not sure if 4 or 5 hours will be enough if the outside temp is in the 30 to 40 degree range.  Will 4 or 5 hours be enough? I tried smoking some cheddar cheese with hickory and let's just say I don't want the turkey breasts turning out like that. Wow hickory can be powerful.

ArnieM

You're probably better off with less rather than more smoke.  I'd go for three hours max on the turkey, a little longer on the ham.

Keep notes.  See how you like the end product and adjust as necessary the next time.

Hopefully squirtthecat (birdman) may come along with some adivice.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tater

The first thing I cooked in my Bradley was a turkey breast about 6 pounds. 
The outside temp was 40 degrees I think I cooked in the 225-230 range.  It took 5 hours.

TedEbear

Quote from: oldshep on November 19, 2011, 10:18:38 AMWill 4 or 5 hours be enough? I tried smoking some cheddar cheese with hickory and let's just say I don't want the turkey breasts turning out like that. Wow hickory can be powerful.

If you have a meat thermometer a lot of smoke gurus say to cook it until it reaches around 160*F at the thickest part of the meat.  Maybe pull it out of the smoker and into the oven at 350*F when it is slightly less than that temp and continue cooking until it reaches the desired internal temp to crisp up the skin.

Poultry really soaks up the smoke.  Hickory is a powerful flavor.  They recommend using a fruit wood such as apple or cherry on turkey.  I'm going to give it a try with cherry this year.

Jim O

Make sure to put the ham above the turkey so it does't get dripped on.

Good luck !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !